25

The next morning I woke up with dried tears on my face and a broken heart. I washed up, but I felt terrible!My mood was very down - I guess I still wasn't over yesterday.

I was about to get dressed when my phone rang. I looked at it and it was an unknown number. Curious, I picked it up anyways.

"Hello?"

No reply.

"Hello?"

Once again, no reply.

"Hello?!"

Completely silent.

"Ugh! Why call if you're not gonna say anything?!"

I hung up and was about to put my phone down when it rang again. I picked up.

"Look buddy you better talk this time or-"

"Ma'am?"

I stopped. "Who is this?"

"It's Rita, ma'am."

I put my hand on my forehead. "Sorry Rita, I'm just a little off today. What's up?"

"Um... not much ma'am. Sir called in and told me to tell you not to come to work today."

Huh? "Why?"

"I'm not sure ma'am. I just know what I'm supposed to tell you ma'am."

"Uh huh... okay, thanks for the call."

"You're welcome, ma'am," and she hung up the phone.

Well that's peculiar... can he even give me a day off like that? ...I wonder what's up?

I got dressed into a white selwar kameez, since Amma complains how I barely wear them, when my phone rang again. It was an unknown call again.

I should've just saved her number.

I picked up the call. "Yeah Rita, talk to me."

No one spoke.

"Hello?"

Silence.

"Hello? Rita you there? I can't hear you."

It was completely silent so I hung up.

Weird. I was about to redial the number when it rang again. "Hello?"

"Yes ma'am, sorry to bother again, but I called to inform you that there was a last minute invite to a party tonight and you're supposed to go there."

"Seriously? Wow, we sure have a lot of parties don't we? Okay, I'll be there. Oh yeah, by the way, you should get your phone checked, I couldn't hear you before when you called."

"What do you mean ma'am?"

"I mean when you just called me a few seconds ago and-"

"I'm sorry ma'am, but, I didn't call."

"What?"

"Yeah, I was working on some paperwork when I just remembered."

"So you didn't call me?"

"No ma'am."

That's odd. "Okay, no problem, probably some wrong number."

I hung up the phone and quickly checked my call history. Like Rita said, the number that had called just before her was different. Not only that, but this number was the same one as the one that first called me and also stayed silent.

Who keeps calling me?