11

The next day I got up bright and early. I took a shower and blow dried my hair. I got dressed into my new clothes, wearing a black and white formal catsuit with a white blazer, and headed downstairs. I ate my breakfast quickly, took my employment letter that the professor had left, got my bag, and headed out. Outside, I met Payal and she wished me good luck. I hailed a cab and went to the office. When I got there, the woman at the reception desk saw my letter and guided me through the office, to the boss' room.

"Mr. Raizada's room is right up these stairs," she said, and she left.

I took a deep breath and headed upstairs, when it finally hit me.

Wait a minute, did she say Mr. Raizada? Could it be? ...no way, I doubt it! The professor said he was a family friend, but that still could mean... oh no!

As I was thinking this, I went up the stairs, and I tried to convince myself that I was being silly. There's more than one Raizada in the world so I needed to calm down.

I went into the room and the back of the boss' chair faced towards me. I knocked and he motioned for me to come in with his hand. I walked in and he motioned me sit down. The second I sat down, his phone rang.

He accepted the call. "Yeah."

My heart jumped when I heard his voice.

Oh no, it can't be...

He turned his chair around and faced me. I gulped as Arnav Singh Raizada looked right back at me. I felt awkward and began to feel uncomfortable, wondering if I looked impressive but then immediately stopped myself.

What am I doing? Why am I caring all of a sudden?

He continued to look at me. "Alright, no problem."

I looked up at him and noticed his Bluetooth in his ear.

Ah, no wonder.

He disconnected his call and leaned back in his chair.

"So, I've gone through you resume; pretty impressive. Think you can handle it?"

"Yes sir, I do."

He looked at me for a moment. He looked as if he was lost in thought, but I didn't bother to think on it. He did so many things I just couldn't understand.

"Alright then Ms. Gupta, welcome to the AR Industries."

We shook hands and it felt like as if I had been electrocuted. I immediately looked up at him and he looked at me. I let go of his hand first and he got up and led me to my new cabin. We went down the stairs and he showed me around the office first, then led me to my room, which was up a different flight of stairs.

My room is amazing! It's nice, neat and very open. The walls were made of glass and you could easily look out to the rest of the office, and you would also be able to see Arnavji in his room. My desk was right in the middle of the room. I sat down in my seat and Arnavji stood in front of my desk. He looked at me and I looked back at him. Someone knocked at the door and we both turned to see a woman walk over to Arnavji.

"Sir, these are some files that are about the new deal we're about to make. In it is all of the information about the payments and everything."

"Well we have a new accounts payable manager, so I think you should give it to her."

"Yes sir."

She handed me the file and she left.

"Best of luck," he said, and he walked out as well.

I sighed and was about to rest my head back, when he reappeared.

"Oh yeah, I need all that ready by tomorrow - we have a conference at 12."

He left and I sighed again. I put my head back against my chair, took a deep breath, and got to work immediately, mentally noting to call Payal and tell her about this during her lunch.

And boy did Payal shriek!

~

Arnav looked out from his room and watched Khushi as she focused on her work. He smiled a little bit out of the corner of his mouth and went back to his own work.

The day passed by quickly, and Khushi was ready to go home. She grabbed her stuff and took the file. She got out of the office and went home. Once she got home, she ate and went back to work.

Payal came in to ask her how her day was, and Khushi groaned.

"What's wrong Khushi?"

"I'm going through these files and this deal that they're about to finalize isn't the best idea! It's way big of a loss! I don't get it - why make this deal knowing it's not good for the company?"

"Maybe they don't know?"

She looked at Payal. "You think?"

"Maybe, who knows. Only way to find out is by going to that conference tomorrow. But forget that, how's Arnav... ji?"

"He's not just Arnavji anymore, now he's my boss."

Payal laughed, remembering their conversation over the phone earlier. "Notice how the relation keeps changing between you two: first bump-in strangers, then acquaintances, and now he's your boss! I'm telling you Khushi, there is something between you two!"

"You think so?"

"Uh huh, I do."

I thought about it and looked out the window. Who knows... maybe there just might be.