35

I ran to the studio, phone in hand. I put my music up really loud and tried to get everything out of my head but today, I just couldn't dance. So instead, I shut my eyes; the things Payal had said, kept playing through my head and I wanted it to stop. It was as if it were playing on speakers, echoing around me! I was about to bring my hands to my ear when someone grabbed it and spun me around.

I stared back at Arnav, who was fuming. I had seen this rage before, a few times at the office. While I had never been on the receiving end of it before, I pitied the poor fellow who was.

Today the poor fellow was me.

I opened my mouth to say something, but his grip on me tightened, causing me to hiss out in pain. If his grip tightened anymore, I was sure he would break my twig-like arms off.

"Let me go," I said, but he didn't.

He glared at me. Looking at him I knew he was angry, and I was absolutely positive Payal had told him everything. Though his eyes were steely, I could see gears of his brain cranking away. Suddenly, he let me go, the force pushing me back. I stumbled and I looked at him, absolutely shocked.

"Arnav-"

"How could you," he boomed. He charged back at me and held my arms again. "Did you even think before you made your decision?"

I wanted to say something, but I couldn't – I had never seen Arnav this angry before.

Nor this hurt.

"Not once did you even care! Tell me, did you honestly ever care about our relationship, or did you do this just for looks?"

Excuse me? "What?! I-"

"None of it ever mattered to you," and his grip tightened. "None of this – us! – mattered to you at all.

I felt pain shoot through me, and it wasn't because of his very tight grip on me.

"Arnav, please, you're hurting me," I nearly whispered, tears flowing down my cheeks.

"Then you know how I feel," he replied, his voice almost sinister, masking the pain.

He let go of me and he stormed out, while I watched his departing figure in shock.

How could he think that? How could he think that everything that had happened between me and him was... all fake? How could he think that?! How dare he think that my love for him was fake?! Was a lie?!

I ran out after him, but Arnav had already driven away.

I couldn't believe what just happened, my brain still in complete shock. Walking back inside, I was unable to contain my balance and placed my hand on a column for support. Everyone's words echoed in mind, from Babuji's to Payal's, to Arnav's, getting louder and louder as the moments passed. I just couldn't take it anymore and screamed out in pain, collapsing to the floor as my hands dug on my hair, my heart aching.

Why is this happening to me?