104

Weeks went on by and the house had turned into a construction zone. When the other family members learned of Arnav's project, excitement grew in the air for making changes to their own rooms. Dai and Di were especially excited, designing rooms for their kids. It was really fun chipping in ideas for the two, and both Nishan and Rani grinned along, as if they understood us.

Since many of our rooms were being redone, we had shifted into the spare bedrooms for the time being. Then one day, Nani had a great idea.

"Why not go visit your in-laws?"

Both Arnav and Akash froze while Payal and I beamed.

"I think it would be a great idea," Dai said.

"Hmm," Nani nodded. "It's been a while since Akash and Payal have visited her home, and Chote and Khushi have never stayed over at her home together after they got married."

Arnav and I glanced at each other. Given the circumstances, it was obvious why we had never spent a night together at my parents, but I wasn't going to dread over the past.

"I think this is a fantastic idea Nani," I smiled at her.

"I agree," Payal beamed.

"Then it's settled," Nani smiled. "I will call up your parents right now while you guys start packing."

"We're leaving today," Akash asked.

"Is that a problem," Payal frowned.

Akash gulped and looked down at his stomach, placing his hand over it. "My abs are done for," he muttered.

Payal only scowled at him while I couldn't help but to snort and purse my lips, the others unable to hold back their grin.

"Don't worry Akash bitwa, abs are temporary anyways," Mami teased.

"Ma," Akash whined.

Mami only chuckled in return, winking at Payal, who grinned back at her. It was always great to see how their relationship had improved so much from the beginning.

"Come on Akash," Di said, "you don't hear Chote whining."

"Actually, he hasn't said anything," Dai pointed out.

Arnav looked up at everyone.

"What's wrong saleh saab," Jeeju teased.

"You're not afraid are you," Jij teased.

"He is not," Di frowned, and she nudged him lightly.

"I'd say he is," I said boldly.

Arnav's eyes landed on me as everyone looked at me.

"Are you worried your abs will disappear as well," I teased, failing miserably from trying to hide my smile.

By the look on my husband's face, I knew he was reflecting back to the day of his birthday, and this time Payal snorted and pursed her lips.

"I highly doubt that will happen," Arnav finally said.

"Oh?"

"Then there's no issue with me calling them," Nani teased.

"Not at all," Arnav replied.

Nani grinned at him before going off to get her phone. Both Payal and I were excited, and I knew as soon as Amma got the call from Nani, she would blow through the roof! I was in the middle of packing, when Amma called, asking numerous questions on what to make, what Arnav liked, and so on. You would think after stuffing my Arnav up like the Thanksgiving turkey that she would know exactly what to do, but apparently this time was "different" than before.

"I have a feeling Amma will forget that I'm even there," I frowned.

Arnav glanced up at me from his laptop. "Sounds like you're jealous."

"Am not!"

He only grinned at me and returned back to his work. "Besides, you know why your mother gives me all of that extra love."

My hands faltered for a brief second, losing my grip on my sari. Arnav noticed it fall from the corner of his eye and quickly caught it. His eyes met my slightly wide ones, and it was almost as if I heard his brain click.

"Shit, Khushi, I'm sorry-"

"No, no, it's fine, Arnav-"

"No, Khushi, it's not, I had promised I'd never bring it up, but I did. I'm sorry."

He pulled me into his arms and hugged me. For a moment I stood still, but then I hugged him back.

"Are you sure-?"

"Don't Arnav. Babuji had made me swear to never reach out to them, to never speak of them."

"Well it's not like you exactly told me, you wrote it down for me. Can't you reach out to your brothers by writing to them?"

I buried my face into his chest and sighed. "I've wanted to since the day they were kicked out. But Babuji... he wanted to act like as if they never existed. Sadly, it got to a point where for a moment, people even forgot I had two older brothers. For a moment, I felt like I didn't have two older brothers. Do you remember the first time you asked me who was in my family? The fact that I didn't even...."

I felt guilt surge within me, and Arnav squeezed lightly.

"It's not your fault Khushi," he said softly. "You're just respecting Babuji's wishes, that's all."

"Regardless, Arnav, that's no reason to forget their existence – to hide that matter! For fuck's sake Arnav, I didn't even tell the others about them, you had to tell your family all because of my stupid vow!"

"It's not stupid Khushi, enough! Whatever happened between your father and them - happened. Nothing can change the past; believe me, if it could have been, you know I would be the first one to be fixing things."

I felt my heart clench as I looked up at him, caressing cheek. "Don't...."

He took my hand in his, placing a kiss on my palm. "We can't change it Khushi. And the conditions your father put... it is what it is."

"How can it just be like that though, Arnav? How does a father just kick his two sons out because they had their own dreams they wanted to chase, then ask the rest of his family to treat them like they never existed in the first place? Make them swear to never say their names again? Who does that, Arnav?"

Arnav caressed my cheek. "Someone that's heartbroken."

I pursed my lips, trying to stop them from trembling as tears threatened to fall, and Arnav pulled me in for a hug.

"I miss them," I sniffled, gripping onto his shirt over his chest.

Arnav placed his hand over my hair and kissed my forehead.

"I wish they would come home."

"I'm sure they will – someday."