93

When I regained my consciousness, it took a moment to realize that I was no longer at home. It took a moment for me to adjust to the lights, but when I finally came around, I realized that I was in a hospital, wearing a blue hospital gown while tucked in bed. I looked to my side and found Arnav beside me, holding my hand in both of his as his forehead rested on them. Glancing out the window, I saw our entire family there, Amma and Nani sitting together looking very distraught.

I turned my attention back on Arnav, placing my other hand on his head. "Arnav," I called out.

It took a few moments before Arnav picked up his head and looked at me. The sight of him stunned me; his eyes were red and there were dry tear stains on his face. It wasn't every day that one would see the great Arnav Singh Raizada cry, and it made my heart twist.

"Don't cry, I'm okay," I soothed, putting my hand in his hair.

Arnav only looked at me. From the corner of my eyes, I saw how everyone had moved to the window of my room, and even they had tears.

"Honestly Arnav, please, don't cry. And tell everyone else that too. I'm fine!"

He looked at me and I couldn't understand his expression.

"Besides," I continued, "not only am I disliking this, but there's someone else very close to me, who wouldn't like this," I hinted out.

This should cheer him up!

I held his hands and moved it on top of my stomach and looked at him. But he only teared up and cried once more, shocking me. I turned and looked at the family, finding Amma covering her mouth as she cried, Babuji holding her shoulders as he looked down at the ground, crying. Nani wasn't looking at me either, Di holding onto her while Jij held both of them. Dai was crying in Jeeju's arms, Jeeju holding her to comfort her. None of them were okay and when I tried to question Arnav, he moved his hands away.

"Arnav, what are you-?"

But he shook his head, pulling his hands away. My heart twisted in my chest and it almost felt like I couldn't breathe.

"No," I gasped. "Arnav, please, no...."

But he refused to look at me, still crying. I looked back at the others, all of them still crying, which didn't help at all!

"T-this is a joke right? Arnav please, tell me this is some sort of joke? Because if it is, it's not funny, dammit Raizada, tell me!"

Arnav only continued to cry, and I felt my anger rise.

"That's it, where's the nurse? Nurse," I called out, moving the blankets out of my way. "Doctor," I called out, getting out of the bed.

I had maybe taken three steps around the bed to get to the door, but Arnav quickly stopped me, holding me down.

"Let me go Arnav, let me go! My baby is fine, let me go!"

Arnav only held me tightly, his arms wrapped around me as he cried on my shoulder, holding me to his front.

"Arnav please let me go, I-" My voice cracked. "I know... it can't... my baby," and the tears came free.

My legs gave out beneath me and Arnav took me to the floor, holding me as we both cried. I hadn't even had my baby within me for a whole week, and it was already gone! Why?! WHY?!!!!!

*~*

After a while, everyone had left except for Arnav. I had stopped crying for a while now but remained still. Arnav had put me back in bed and I never once fussed and simply looked straight forward. Arnav remained silent by my side, never once letting go of my hand. But I never once looked at him, still in the state of shock.

Some time later, food was brought in, but not one part of me wanted to eat.

"Please Khushi," Arnav asked softly. "For me?"

I shut my eyes, hearing the pain in his voice. I took in a few breaths before opening them up and looked at him. He placed food into my mouth, and I ate. After a few bites I stopped him. He looked at me, confused.

"Did you eat," I asked, my voice small.

He simply shook his head. I took some food and placed it in his mouth. We both ate together in silence and comforted each other.

We were all each other had.