V01 - Chapter 2 Brave New World RM

***

--- Sadera, Royal District, Imperial Senate Chambers ---

February 17th, 2025

Senator Kaeso Id Tyueli is standing in the middle of the Senate Chambers, engaging in the large debate that is happening on the floor. Being one of the most senior and powerful Senators and coming from a long noble family line, he has the right to be at the center stage.

"What do you mean they are all dead?" Senator Oras Das Dardanus said, shocked by the news of what happens on Alnus Hill, "What about General Ulr Dan?"

"According to the messenger, General Ulr Dan has fallen." Tyueli reads the note to the Senate. "He was one of our best Generals.

"We need to investigate the current situation," Casel El Tiberius proposes, "We need to find out how the enemy killed General Ulr Dan and his army."

When he reads the note, he automatically knows it is not good.

About a month ago, the Empire sent many of its greatest generals to claim the lands beyond the gate in the name of the Empire. After they went through the magical Gate, only a few came back. At first, the news sounded great. Many riches and slaves were taken. That was what the first report stated. It sounded like the Humans on the other side of the Gate were weak and inferior — new lands and new slaves just ready to be taken.

But then no one heard anything from the advance force. The new survivors who returned claimed the invasion force was slaughtered, shocking the Imperial Senate.

The situation around the Gate became strange as no one knew what to do. A few smaller warbands were sent to see what had happened to the main force but none of them returned either too.

It was decided to send another army, a far larger one, through the Gate, but the enemy came through and smashed the defenders. About one-tenth of the Imperial Army was sent to guard the Gate and prepare for war.

"Investigate?" Cicero La Moltose asked angrily, "We need to act. A dishonor like this cannot go unpunished. No one does this to the Empire and gets away with it."

"And don't forget about our vassals," Amulius Palestis points out, "If we don't act fast then our vassals might betray us."

"There is no way we can keep this a secret," Baron Monterey states, "Everyone in the region will know. The question is how we respond."

He nods at what Baron had said, another respected Senator. Baron always is careful about how he reacts respects, understanding the power of silence. However, even he is rattled by this news.

"We should send an embassy to these Other Worlders," he proposes. "We clearly do not understand this enemy enough to continue to wage war."

"You are kidding Tyueli? We must send a counterattack right now. A defeat like this must not be left leave unchallenged," Oras responds in an arrogant tone, "This is war, not a game. We must send a force now and reclaim revenge our honor!"

He sees most of the senators clap and cheers for the proposal to send a counterattack against the Other Worlders. Only a few senators don't, and his most trusted friend, Tiberius, lightly claps. While he isn't against wars, he doesn't like the idea of sending more troops to die against an enemy that is clearly stronger than they were told.

"Are you kidding," he asked, "Who are we going to send? This is the second army to challenge these people and be defeated! Should we pull our forces from the east and let the Dark Races run rampant rampage? Recall from the west? Our army just defeated the Edra Kingdom, and it will take weeks for a Wyvern to reach them and then months for the western armies to come back. This enemy is far stronger than we were promised!"