V04 - Chapter 39 RM

***

--- Fort Alnus ---

June 11th, 2025

Only thirty-four minutes ago Vanguard-7 got the word to mobilize. The team is currently outside, loading up their JTLVs for the sudden mission. It is early in the morning with light rain at the base.

Right beside their vehicle is two M1083(1) transport trucks. They are currently being loaded by some Imperialist soldiers.

Private First-Class Alicia Moore wipes the sweat off her head from the heavy heat.

"I thought we had three more days on base," she said complaining.

Randy walks pass her, carrying some ammo boxes, "knock it off Moore. This comes with the job."

"Yeah, but what about our next mission?" she said, testing her radio equipment, "we spent two days in classes for our next mission. And they just take it away."

"Oh, come on Alicia. Stop complaining. What is done is done," Corporal Andrew Steele said as he loads up some supplies.

She looks around and sees the Ranger team loading up, getting ready for their next mission. She looks back at her radio, annoyed by the older technology.

The US Army uses advance digital radios and Blue Force Trackers however because there are no satellites on this world, having a good connection to the NETT Warrior has been a struggle. The only source of reliability is when drones are flying above, acting as a temporary NW single until something more permanent is established.

"...I know... I just hate wasting my time," she then hits the radio, "damn, I miss satellite radio." When she hits it with her hand the radio set turns on and acts normally, "wow, that actually worked."

Andrew laughs, watching the event happen, "yeah, that actually works sometimes. When I was a kid, my computer was not working. Frustrated I kicked it and then it works."

She looks up him with, "Andrew... you're always something."

That is when the new member of the team Private First-Class Harvey Frost walks up. He tosses his bag into the back of their JTLV, "I don't know why you are complaining so much. Any chance to get out there and see this world a gift."

Alicia looks at Frost, the new Ranger on the time. Even thought he has missed a lot he has adjusted well into the team. He asked to be on this team, and she thinks he is crazy for that. While some of her opinions of Vanguard-7 leader, Major Sharpe has changed, she still does not fully trust him.

"Look, new guy, few things," she said, "the view is pretty, and the world is brutal. Everything out there wants to kill us. So, watch your sweet ass otherwise you will be in a body bag. We are lucky our weapons are so powerful many of the villages just submit to us."

Andrew looks to him. "Yup. Everything you think they told you back on Earth, not even the surface." He then moves his hands, expressing what he is going to say next. "An example, they have these beautiful Nekos everywhere."

Frost looks to him. "Catgirls? Or do you mean Nekos?"

"What the fuck are Nekos?" she asked.

"Nekos is the Japanese name for cat-people in Japan fantasy," Andrew said and then elbows Frost in the shoulder, "oh yeah, not just that but all different kinds of women. Very exotic."

Frost starts to think about what he said. So far all he knows is what has been released by the government.

She looks over and rolls her eyes, "boys... never grow up."