V01 - Chapter 6 Flame Dragon RM

***

--- Coan Forest ---

April 25th, 2025

It has been over an hour since everyone left the village. There are hundreds of wagons traveling in single file in this makeshift single lane dirt road. The Vanguard team is currently be escorting the caravan.

Once Sharpe's Vanguard team got out of the forest, he was able to report the situation to Vanguard Command. He informed them that a village was destroyed, and he believes that these people are the next target.

When he made the report with Sarah and Yang, he expected to get an ear full, especially about the girl. Not that they disagreed in saving her and the village but for getting involved and putting everyone at risk.

All the Colonel said was that he agreed with his judgment on the field and to remember that they might look Human, but they are aliens. He needs be careful not to get the unit killed because of it. That last part did bother him, however.

To his surprise, Sarah did not yell at him either. To his confusion, she seemed shocked and pleased. Since he first met her, she has been on his ass on every occasion, including the most basics of command.

"Goddammit... I fucking hate this. I left California to get away from the traffic...," Andrew said, frustrated in how slow everyone is going.

"Hey," Alicia yells. "Watch the language! We have a young guest remember."

The girl that helped to save from those four men, who might be some kind of slave traders. He took her back to the JLTV to keep her safe during this situation.

He asked Alicia to find something for her to wear, so she will not be naked anymore. The only clothing available there are extra adult military shirts and blankets. While it is not enough it has to do until they get back to base.

He shakes his head. "Be nice, both of you. Also, we should be there by nightfall, they did say the next village wasn't too far."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah..." Andrew said, just frustrated on how slow everyone is going. "I do have to say boss that was pretty cool."

He looks at Andrew with a glare. "What does that supposed to mean? You thought I was a monster like those men?"

"Sorry sir," Andrew said, caught off guard by his reaction.

"Calm down sir," Alicia said. "He's just saying that is was cool what you did. Most officers wouldn't do that."

He turns around to look at Alicia and then back to Andrew, realizing his mistake. "I am sorry and thank you?"

"It's just cool," Andrew said again.

Sharpe can see that they think of him as some bland officer of some kind. He knows he has not had the best image, but he cannot believe that saving a kid from rapist pedophiles was an achievement. He did not realize how low his reputation is.

Some time passes and he adjusts himself from the boredom. In the boredom all, he can think about the new girl he saved. He takes a nervous breath and leans between both front seats, looking into the back of the JLTV. "How is our little princess? She looks better."

The girl is just sitting there in a seat. She is wearing his spare military shirt; it is long enough to cover her whole body. She is always wrapped in a blanket to stay warm. Alicia did a good job of cleaning the mud, blood, and other stains off her. He must admit she looks cute all cleaned up.

Alicia is leaning against the door, holding her legs like she is trying to protect her body. Her eyes still say that she is scared.

Seeing her in the position confirms his worse fears. Whoever those people were, they have beaten and raped her. Just imagining that fate angers him but he controls himself and forces a smile.