V02 - Chapter 16: Siege of Italica RM

***

--- Italica ---

May 9th, 2025

The Ranger team led by Major Sharpe reaches the city eastern gate. Once they get there, they notice how bad the situation is. Everything is pure chaos. Bodies are being taken away in wagons and new barricades being rebuilt.

"My God, what happened here?" Jerry asked, speaking more out loud than a direct question to anyone. He looks over by this building and sees people that are sick and wounded. Many of them are just boys who were called upon to defend the city. "Sir?" He looks towards Sharpe, wanting permission to help them.

"Go," Sharpe said to him, knowing what he is about to ask. "But don't get carried away. Stay in sight and don't go crazy on your supplies. We will need them later."

Jerry nods and dashes off to where some wounded men were at.

Lelei watches as Jerry rushes off to a group of wounded people and then looks to Sharpe. Jerry is the team medic. "Why is he going to help them? They are your enemy."

"Because they are our enemy, that does not mean we do not help the civilians. We have a treaty called the Geneva Convention back on Earth; it is a guideline for war. We do not intently attack civilians, prisoners, and wounded. If we can, we help." He then looks at her. "With limitations of course."

"But why? What benefit is it to you?" Lelei asked, not fully understanding it. "I am not a soldier however the rules of war say you either kill or enslave your enemies. Or are you planning to make them your subjects?"

Randy holds up his hand to get Lelei's attention. "Because we want our enemies to treat our people with good care if they become a prisoner. With some form of basic care."

"Yup, it is not perfect, but we do what we can," he adds. "You see, we are not barbaric. There need to be some rules in war. What we do to the enemy they will do to us. On top of that, the character and manner of the soldier matter greatly to us."

"And we separate civilians from soldiers. By law, we do not intently kill civilians. They are not combatants and deserve to continue to live their daily life," he finishes, and she looks around.

"So, what are you going to do here," Lelei asked him, wondering what he is thinking.

"Still figuring that out, Lelei. At the end of the day, my people's safety is my first priority. Not these people's internal issues," he replied and then begins walking away. He is heading to the princess, seeing her over by a building.

Lelei looks to Randy. "Your world is confusing but interesting. I find it interesting how complex your rules are and that so many nations can follow them."

Randy chuckled after hearing that. "It is nice but not perfect. It did require millions of dead bodies to come up with these rules."

"War is a natural part of life," Lelei said. "That is one-way magic became widely used. War needed magicians so schools were created, which I attended."

Randy then nods to what she said. "Sad truth, war usually is the tool for progress."

"Truth to that," he replied.

Once he gets there, he gets a good idea of the situation. He then sees this red hair girl in a maid uniform. To his shock, her hair is made from snakes.

"Hello Other Worlder," the girl said. "My name is Aurea. I am one of the four maids of Italica. I have been sent to bring you to the palace to meet the Countess and Princess."

He looks at Lelei.

Lelei looks at her. "I think you can trust her Major. The Maids of Italica are known to be good. As long as you don't threaten the city."