V13 - Chapter 153

***

--- Fort Alnus, Field Hospital ---

February 21st, 2026

Rory is standing in this large white room within the US Army Field Hospital.

As the Apostle of Death and War, she has seen many horrors on the battlefield. Soldiers cut to pieces, blood everywhere, body parts missing, and so on. On the battlefield she is fine by the sight, it makes sense.

However, she hates coming to the hospital. Seeing wounded soldiers in a place like this makes it harder to separate the battlefield and the wounded. Here at the hospital, she feels bad for the wounded.

Today she has found the hospital unusually busy. About thirty wounded soldiers from the Elies Region were critically flown here for surgery. While NATO is occupying most of the region, the Empire is refusing to let it go uncontested. Now that the Ticaret Conglomerate is helping the Empire in the west she knows there are going to be far more dead Other Worlders before this war is over.

That is why at every chance she got she has been collecting the souls of the Other Worlders and sending them to Emroy. It has not been easy, but she believes it is the least she can do is protect the souls of the one who dies for her world freedom. The worst part is that because this is not the battlefield, she can't collect their souls. She hopes that Emroy collects their souls without her guidance.

But today she is not supporting the Other Worlders but her friend Myuute Luna Sires.

Myuute is standing right next to her, looking through a window. She looks terrified as she watches the surgery inside the cleanroom.

She reaches over and takes Myuute hand to help comfort her. "It will be ok Myuute."

"They are cutting into his head!" Myuute said. "How is that good? He is going to die!"

She looks up at her. "I don't think they wouldn't do this to him if it will kill him."

"But they are cutting into his head," Myuute said again.

Myuute informed her of what happened in Alnus while she was at Mount Tube. Her police partner was initially controlled by a brain slug, a creature used by the Haryo Tribe. They are assuming the Haryo Tribe did this to Miloslav Suchanek during the earthquake.

What is bothering her is that she has never heard of either these slugs or the Haryo Tribe before. She has faced what the Americans jokingly nickname as 'Man Bear Pig'. This a reference from an old TV show called South Park. Sometimes she hears them call them pigmen for short, but she didn't know they had been fighting the Haryo Tribe the whole time.

She watches as the doctors did their surgery on Miloslav. She sees them digging into the back of Miloslav's head. She has no idea how any of it works.

The doctor who explained how the surgery will work is a Polish doctor named First Lieutenant Ewa Kowalski. She is assisting an American Major who is doing the main part of the surgery.

"Ewa explained how everything will work," she said. "The doctors X-rayed Miloslav head which allows them to see inside without having to cut open. She said it is like taking a picture but inside the body. That is how they see the slug and how they will be able to cut it out. Everything will be fine."

She looks at her friend, trying to cheer her up. She can still see that Myuute is still worried.

"Hey," she said. "I didn't know you two were in love."

"I didn't know either," Myuute said. "When he was acting strange, I thought he just needed space. But he just kept getting more distant until he didn't want to be around. For some reason, we started getting into fights just going on patrol together."