V09 - Chapter 107 Battle of Legrath

***

--- Underground Tunnels, Fortress Legrath---

December 13th, 2025

"I cannot believe we are stuck down here again," An Imperial guard said as he sits down on a bench.

The other soldier walks over with a pale of water. "Well, we could be up top and fight."

"Better than sitting here bored," The first soldier said.

"Didn't the enemy once come through here? Not that long ago?" The soldier points out.

"There are many tunnels. Many that leads nowhere. Even if they know of them, the odds they pick this one..." The soldier said but then hear this strange sound from behind.

He then turns around and sees the guard on the ground, head splattered on the floor.

He then looks down the tunnel and sees these soldiers standing there. He sees one of then aiming at him and everything goes dark.

---

Sharpe sees the two guards fall from the silent attack. From what he can tell the entrance to the fortress is secured.

He signals with his hand for the rest of his Rangers to move forward.

Lieutenant General Stanford wants Special Forces units to sneak inside the fortress through the underground tunnel, just like last time. He got the idea when his Ranger unit went to rescue Tuka people.

While the Special Forces units attack from within, the main force is engaging outside. First as a distracting force and then to soften them up. Their job is to keep the enemy focus on them so we can move around more freely. The Special Forces secure an insertion point for elements the 101st Division flies in and offloads Airborne troops inside.

The key problem with this fortress is the double-wall fortification, otherwise, the direct approach would be more than enough.

Private First-Class Harvey Frost and Private First-Class Marvin Scott rush's and secure the entrance. Once he gets the ok from his NW Network, he waves everyone else forward.

As both Rangers and Rose Knights rush forward, storming the entrance, he stops Tula as she passes him.

She stops and looks at him. "What is it, sir?"

"Why are you holding up?" He asked. He knows this place has been bad for her people and could bring up some unpleasant memories. Many of her people were tortured and killed here and she has used bait for him.

"I am fine. Let us just end this place and bring the Imperialist to their knees," Tuka said with a smile.

He nods. "Don't let your emotions get ahold of you. Victory will be enough." He looks down and sees that she is using the bow he got her. "When we get into a fight, focus on the officers and work your way down. You are my marksmen."

"Got it, boss," Tuka said with her smile.

He pats her on the shoulder and then follows his Rangers.

As everyone moves through the tunnel, taking out any patrols they run into.

Last time he came through here, everything felt wrong. They barely ran into anyone, just like now but it felt like a trap. This time everything feels sloppy. He doesn't feel that Krysist charm(1).

While it is only a guess, it confirms the rumor of the power struggle within the Imperial Army. NATO has been fighting all around Elies, they have fought bravely and with much professionalism. With all their limitations, they watched, learned, improved, and adopted against an overwhelming force.