V04 - Chapter 40 Present Understanding RM

***

--- Italica ---

Date: June 11th, 2025

The original plan was for Vanguard-7, the Ambassador Willington, and Princess Pina to go to the Empire capital of Sadera. For the peace process to continue, it was agreed to include the Emperor to finalize the agreement.

About two hours before they left, a massive rainstorm came through the night. With the heavy rain and the condition of the dirt roads in doubt, it was decided that it was too dangerous to travel in this weather. A twenty-four-hour delay was agreed to.

He looks through the window, watching the intense rain come down. The rain reminds him of past operations.

"I have been all-over South-East Asia," he said. "The rain there was mindboggling, but this is ridiculous."

Hearing that, Andrew speaks up from a new manga he is reading. "What countries have you been to sir?" He asked. He is sitting on a chair on the other side of the room.

Scott, Lelei, and Alicia are at a table playing a hand of poker. They are teaching Lelei the arts of the game.

"Ten bucks he said classified," Alicia said, placing a bet.

"He does say that a lot," Lelei points out as she watches and tries to analyze Alicia bet. "I think you are faking."

"Well, he said that mainly to her," Scott adds to what Lelei said, referencing Alicia. He then looks at Lelei as he matches her bet. "Also, it's called a bluff."

He thinks about the answers. "Taiwan, Philippines and... hmm, I can't talk about that one. Let us call that good for now. Now you own me ten bucks." He looks at Alicia and winks. He looks back at the window. "By the way Sergeant, don't ever piss off the Philippines Special Forces. A good way to end up in jail for a week." He shakes his head with a smirk. "Carlos you bastard."

"Wait what?" Scott asked after hearing that.

"Long story, lost a bet. If they ever offer you to gamble, say no," he said to Scott.

That is when a Marine opens the door. "Major Sharpe, you are needed down in the lobby."

Sharpe looks to the Marine and nods. "Hope this is good."

Once Sharpe leaves the room, everyone goes back to what they were doing.

Alicia folds her hand. "God, even when he said something he's still encrypted."

"Yeah, but hasn't he has opened up more since that story from the bar?" Lelei points out. "Isn't that what you wanted?"

"Yeah, that's good. Can't trust a hollow man in battle," Alicia said as she increases the bet. "Don't take what I say to literal Lelei, after Elies(1) I have a lot of respect for the guy. It just has a feeling it is not his record that he's hiding."

Scott smiles and takes all the chips that were betted. "What makes you say that?"

"Women's intuition," Alicia replied to him. "Now deal again."

Sharpe hear all that but ignores it.

***

--- Italica, US Diplomatic Outpost Alpha ---

Date: June 12th, 2025

Sharpe follows the Marine downstairs into the makeshift lobby. Once he arrives there, he sees Ambassador Willington arriving as well. There also is this neko standing there. She has glasses and purple hair. Sharpe wonders if the purple hair is natural or some kind of dye color. He recalls seeing her before when he was 'wounded' by one of the Rose Guard. She and some other maids helped take care of his people that extra day.