V01 - Chapter 7 Fort Alnus RM

***

--- Fort Alnus ---

April 27th, 2025

Major Sharpe is sitting at a desk, waiting for the brass meeting to begin. Everyone in the briefing room is an officer from the 75th Rangers besides the General.

He yawns as he gets little sleep, only getting back the other day. He never knew helping refugees would result in so much paperwork, thank god he has his team assistant First Lieutenant Sarah Rose to help.

When he got back, he thought she would be angry at him for disobeying orders. To his surprise, she did not bring it up. While she did not talk to him, she did help get living quarters for the refugees.

When he got back, from his mission, some of the brass was not that happy about him bringing all those refugees back to base. They said that the military is not in the position to aid these people as they are busy turning Alnus Hill into a fortress. They also express the concern that one or more could be spies for the enemy and they have no way to confirm that.

Luckily, he was able to make an argument on how they need local support to understand this world. They need people who know the land and the monsters of this region, like the Flame Dragon.

To his surprised Colonel Yang and the General agreed with his point of view.

One of the officers up front suddenly yells attention.

Everyone stands up as the head of the expeditionary force in the Special Region, Lieutenant General Charlie Stanford walks in.

"Please have your seat," Stanford said, as he takes his seat.

Everyone in the room does the same.

Stanford begins to speak first. "I want to start off and say a good job to everyone. Our recon teams so far have suffered no casualties. Vanguard-2 was able to establish good relations with a nearby village south from here. Major Davis, I want your team to follow up on that."

"Yes sir," Major Davis Stewart said.

Stanford looks down on his sheet, on topics to discuss. "Vanguard-3 ran into the Empire troop. If your report corrects?"

He looks over to Sarah who to his right. She already knew what he was thinking and slid over a document.

He takes it and glances at it. It said Vanguard-3 engaged a company size to the west. They were heading to what they believe might be a town. They were forced to pull back however they gave the Empire a massive bloody noise in the engagement.

Captain Charles Casaus halfway raises his hand. "Yes sir. We had a brief engagement, but I decided to disengage. It seems like they were on a patrol, but we did not know if there was a larger force coming."

The General nods from that response. "In this case, the right decision. We will figure that out later and see where they are camped. Colonel Robert will send a recon in force to search and destroy that patrol."

"Just as a reminder Rangers," Yang said. "Until the airfield is built, we are all going in blind. There are probably Imperial troops all over the place that we cannot detect yet. Our technology far superior then theirs however, all you need is one bad day and an ambush."

"Now for the matter at hand. We all know what happened with Vanguard-7," Stanford said.

Everyone already knows what happened. Vanguard-7 brought over refugees back to base and fought off a dragon, nearly getting everyone killed.

"I want to make it clear," Stanford said. "As we go out, we will make friendly relations with the local population, but we are not here to change their ways. Our mission is to prevent a second attack on the homeland. We are not the Salvation Army(1)"