V04 - Chapter 45 Raid on Sadera RM

***

--- Onboard V-22B, outskirts of Sadera ---

July 3rd, 2025

Lelei is sitting down on the of the Osprey seats. All around her are Rangers, all waiting for battle.

They are all geared up, expecting a heavy fight.

Across her is Colonel Yang, talking on the radio to the other four V-22s. In the window behind him, she can see the almost full moon Idos. It is very pretty with its whitish-blue color.

For some reason she feels uncomfortable and scared. During the flight, her confidence has hit an all-time low since getting on this helicopter, to her surprise. All this time she did not realize how much she relied on Sharpe confidence and leadership.

She has gotten herself into many messes since joining up with these people. All those times it never crossed her mind that she was in real danger. Mentally she knew but it did not bother her.

All this reminded her of her father when she and her older sister ran away before he was a dominant tyrant. He ruled with an iron fist, making life living hell for her.

Sharpe rules very strictly, always in control and keeping everything close to his chest, like her father. He is a tyrant but a different kind of tyrant. Sharpe maintain control and order however he does not control people, letting Rory, Selina, his Ranger's, and herself be who they are freely unlike her father.

"Hmm," she thinks about that, now disagreeing with herself. Tyrant is not the proper word. While her father keeps people close, it is to protect his ego and insecurities, Sharpe dose that to keep people safe. Unlike her father where he steals people's confidence, Sharpe seems to project confidence in people.

Lelei never realized that until now that she is alone.

"Everything will be ok kid," Yang said, noticing how nervous she is.

She looks up, focusing on him. "I know."

Yang smiles. He then leans forward so she can hear him easier. "Look Lelei. I know you are probably not happy that I split you up from your friends. There are two reasons why. One is that I am expecting to fight against magic users or something down that line. Because of that, I would like one on our side. Just in case."

Lelei could not disagree with him. This is the capital of the Empire, a good chance they might have powerful magic users waiting for them.

Then Yang continues. "Second. You are reliable. Sharpe always has to keep an eye on Rory and that kid Selina. That's not including some of his other Rangers with a wild streak." He is implying Private First-Class Alicia Moore. "You on the other hand never have other to worry about you. Always know what to do when to do it. Always calm and orderly"

Lelei listens, cannot believe a high-ranking man like him is saying that.

"Look, everyone on this bird is happy that you are here. We all know what you did at the Elies Fort(1)." Yang said as he leans back. "When we land, just remember. You have all of our respect."

Lelei could not say anything, the words did not form in her mouth. She takes a deep breath, now realizing that she is more famous than she though. Learning that, she feels the weight of responsibility being far heavier, but in a good way.

It would not be long before the Osprey reaches the landing zone. One the red light turns green, everyone is rushing out of the Osprey, storming the plaza. A few sounds of gunfire, Rangers taking out some sentries.

She gets off the Osprey and looks around. She sees the three Vanguard teams get into position, getting ready to be counterattack. She takes a deep breath and remembers what Sharpe said, that he is never disappointed in her. "Let's go."