V12 - Chapter 139 Takin Care of Business

*** 

--- Fort Minick ---

Staff Sergeant Andrew Steele walks into the new Vanguard-7 barracks. He sees the rest of his team, walking over and patting him on the back.

"Welcome back," Scott said.

"I don't know," Frost said with a chuckle. "You have no idea how quiet Alicia is when you're not here."

"Hey," Alicia mumbles.

Jerry walks over and looks at his bandaged arm. "How is the bite wound?*"

Alicia pushes everyone out of the way and then looks at his arm. "Yeah. How does it feel getting bitten like that?"

He looks at everyone and then at his arm. "All I can say is that was bad. That kid's teeth can go deep. I don't recommend it."

"Was he trying to suck out your blood?" Alicia said with much excitement.

"Down woman," Jerry said as he placed his hand on Alicia shoulder to calm her down. "And I think that's Vampires, not Bats.

He thinks back on getting bit. "I don't remember feeling my blood being sucked out. It just felt deep."

"Well, welcome back Andrew," Scott said.

He looks around feeling very welcomed. He looks over and even sees the new Ranger Sergeant Sofie Everett standing behind everyone. She also seems happy that he is ok. While things have been acquired for how much she hates the 'girls' but it is good to see she still cares about the team. At the end of the day, we are all on the same team after all.

He walks through and tosses his bag on his bed. From what he can see there is a main lounge for the unit. Then there are these rooms which have two beds in each. He finds this better than the last barracks as everyone slept in one long room.

He looks at the other bed and notices it is the team medic, Jerry. It looks very spartan, just a few things here and there.

"Anything I missed?" He asked as he walked out of his joint room and headed back into the lounge.

Alicia walks up to him and begins to explain what happened when they went back. That Lelei is becoming a walking missile launcher* and that they ran into a Dark Elf raiding party. She then explains the leader of the party is named Yao and was forced to raid traders to feed her people because of the Flame Dragon they fought before.

"That pretty much sums it up," Alicia said in a casual tone. "Right now, there is a bet going on if the Major is going to go save the Dark Elf tribe from the Flame Dragon."

"Ready? Where?" He asked and looked to the wall where Alicia pointing at. He sees the bets and notices everyone sees betting on intervention. "Yeah. I kind of agree. When are we going?"

"No idea but not for a few days. They recalled Johnson so probably happening soon." Alicia said. "Anyway, we got beer!"

As Scott walks away from the mini-fridge and hands him a beer. "Are you still being able to fight?"

"Yeah," Andrew said. "Their main worry was if I was infected with something. I turned out to be clean. No zombies today."

He sees Frost sitting on the couch. He looks to the screen and sees one of his favorite podcasts, Every Frame of Pauses or better known as EFAP*. He started watching it when he was in High School in California back in 2018. It is a show by other major media critics who review media and other critic's responses. They believe in the objective side of media and art, laying down standards and building up from that.