🎃 Ojirō Mashirao x Reader

Mashi grins at me as he puts the light in the pumpkin, and I smile back. My husband truly is the cutest.

I finish twining the decorative broom, placing it in the hand of our burlap scarecrow. Mashirao sets the pumpkin on the edge of the porch. The pumpkin's grinning jack-o'-lantern face gleams yellow as I admire our work. The yard and porch are decorated for this spooky holiday, and Mashi pulls me in his arms.

We've been married for little over three years now, and it's been wonderful. It's rough waiting for him to come home, since his hero work is long and strenuous, but it's worth having times like this. He truly is sweet and funny, and he makes every effort for me. I've always thought he was cute since I met him, and in the cold gray light as a leaf lands on his head, his smile looks even cuter.

Now to hang our skeleton lights and plug in the smoke machine.

I step up on the ladder, reaching up to the hook with the lights in my hands. It's further than I thought. I take another step up. Up... A little further-- my feet are unsteady. Gog I hate heights. The ladder jolts beneath my feet and my heart pangs as slip. "Dammit-"

A strong tail grabs me, steadying me. "I got you," Mashirao's arms wrap around me, "are you okay?"

I nod, my heart still loudly pulsing. "Thank you, Mashi-chan."

He kisses my temple. "I'm glad. Let's try again together, why don't I hold the ladder for you?"

Hand on my chest to soothe my fear, I agree. A couple minutes later, and the skeleton lights adorn the space above the door; they grin down at us.

The fog billows as Mashirao tests the machine, and the colourful leaves blow with a biting wind, gathering around the porch.

The sweet smell of halloween, leaves, and the cold fills the air, settling in my bones. Mashi returns, arm wrapping around me as he takes in the beautiful melancholy of this season.

Autumn truly is great.