Goodbyes & Dawn

"Mi Sun, can you hear me?"

  Taehyung's deep voice infiltrates the mental cocoon you're held in, the hurt of it all retreating from his sound. You manage a small nod, head heavy with unknown weights.

  "Can she get up?" Jimin asks, his shiny eyes popping into view, glazed with concern.

  "I don't know," the younger replies with a sigh. "She's been hit with a lot, she needs to rest."

  "That Brit didn't hurt her too bad, right?" Dae-Jung questions from somewhere you can't see.

  "No," you rasp, attempting to open your eyes against the harsh lights. You end up squinting, breathing hard as blood leaks from your body. "Nothing I can't handle."

  "Woah, slow down," Rosé says from your side. She looks at the rest of the team as she bites her lip. "I don't think she should move too much right now. Let's get the injured ones away and then-"

  "What? I-" Confused, you had tried to get up from where you're lying on the floor only to drop back down with a gasp as pain blossoms through your stomach. You look down, heart falling as you see the crimson painted on you.

  "Hey, hey," Taehyung soothes, gently pressing on the wound again as you take a shuddering breath. "The first part was only to see if you were awake."

  "What's the second?" you croak.

  Namjoon pops into view with a grimace. "Let you say goodbye."

  Your face crumples slightly, realizing what they meant. Your eyes burn as you manage a tight nod, looking to the side. "Thank you," you choke. "I want to."

  "That's not a good idea," Jin says worriedly. "How will you-"

  With a small motion of your hand, Yoongi comes to your side. Biting your lip, you stand up with shaky legs despite Jin's words. A sharp exhale leaving your lips as pain stabs your whole body, the skin bleeding and bruised in too many places.

  He slowly helps you move to where Jae Hwa's body lays, gently lowering you to the ground before leaving to help move Jungkook and Lisa out.

  You stare at your best friend's broken body, her limbs distorted and blood soaked as the metallic tang in the air makes you press your lips together. The tears make your shoulders jerk but they don't come out, your body tired and eyes dry from the events of the previous hours.

  Shakily, you lower your head to hers, pressing your forehead to her cold, flaking one without looking into her empty eyes. "I'm...I'm sorry," you choke. "I c-couldn't protect you. I've failed you and my family, but I swear to you I won't fail the rest of Korea. Forgive me, please, please, forgive me."

  You close your eyes and try to bring memories of the once-beautiful woman back, but the pounding in your head makes you lurch forwards.

  "Hey," Namjoon calls, grabbing your shoulders gently. "We have to get out of this place, okay?"

  "What about..."

  "Dae-Jung and I agreed the best way is to burn it," he whispers.

  You just nod your head, now opening your eyes to look one last time at Jae's mangled face. Namjoon helps you up, walking you past the girls pouring gasoline all over the place.

  At the doors, you blink in wonder at the creeping hues of peach and canary on the dark horizon, momentarily enraptured by the break of dawn. You shiver, feeling wind push past you and take some of your pain with it.

  "Mi Sun," Yoongi calls before handing you a small black lighter. "Jimin and Rosé got the whole mansion gassed up. You can do the honors, if you want."

  "What about Thanatos?" you ask hoarsely, throat dry.

  Namjoon purses his lips, dull eyes meeting yours. "It's best to let that be destroyed with the rest of this shit show. The world can do without it."

  You nod, waiting until the rest of the team leaves the house. You glance over you shoulder, concerned as you see Jungkook and Lisa being carried into the van, both unconcious.

  "They'll be okay," Jimin says softly as he passes you. "Now it'll all be okay."

  Taking a deep breath, your thumb flicks the lighter, the rising day glowing brighter in the second that you throw the small flame in, a last flicker of satisfaction dancing in your purple eyes.