Do you blame yourself?

"Do you blame yourself?"

The voice bounced around in Dick's head, bounding off of solid white walls. It wasn't a real place, Dick had learned that by now. It was something he'd made up. He looked up at the shrouded figure in front of him. "What?" His voice was shaky.

"Well, it's quite common in this situation for a patient to feel a kind of...guilt." Dick couldn't place the voice. It was a mix of several, male and female, and it sent shivers down his spine. He didn't like it here.

"What situation?" The walls changed, rapidly flashing memories of the event. It had happened right before Dick came here, before everything went wrong. Before he became trapped in this void of nothingness.

"The accident."

Dick and Wally were walking along the street, laughing as they recalled the day's adventures. It had been a long day of hanging out and doing work, and they were ready to go home and sleep. Dick couldn't stop laughing at Wally's jokes, which the redhead took pride in.

Dick felt like he was watching a movie, but a silent one. There was no audio. People only reacted with the Dick from his memory. Nothing made sense anymore. What was this place, exactly? Where had his brain taken him?

They were walking across the road now. They were moving quickly, trying to make it across the street before traffic started moving again. They had little time to register the car serving across the intersection in an unpredictable manner.

Dick gulped, watching as his body reacted. He remembered now. He remembered the feeling that night, one of fear, of protection, of love. He did what he did out of love. He'd loved Wally too much.

Dick pushed Wally out of the way, leaving himself no time to get out of the way. The car slammed into his body, leaving the horrid sound of breaking bones and the limp body in the street. Pedestrians screamed, someone fainted, but the only thing he could see was Wally, who was looking over in shock.

The sirens had come quickly. Wally had snapped out of his shock by then, but Dick knew. He knew his injuries were too severe. He knew he'd lost too much blood. Even with Wally trying to ease the pain, he knew. He knew it on the inside, and he knew Wally did too. He could only smile sadly as Wally promised him he'd be alright, that he was going to get help.

"So?" That voice asked. 

"So?" Dick asked back. 

"Do you blame yourself?" 

"What for?" 

Dick looked back at the memory, smiling at Wally. "I saved Wally. That's all I could ask for." 

The shadow nodded, walking up. "It was an honor. I hope to see you again." Dick smiled, letting a warm light envelope him. It was time to go home.