Tangling with the Big Bad Bat

Dick and Wally laughed as they ran through the museum halls, alarms blaring around them. Their money was already out and on its way to a secondary location, to be checked for trackers and mics. In the meantime, they were causing a distraction, hoping to get the attention of Batman. "This is insane!" Wally whooped over the sound of explosions. 

"But its fun! He hasn't caught us yet, and hiding behind the pillars won't help him!" Dick giggled back.

A cable shot out at Dick. The younger grabbed it, using it to pull the Dark Knight from the ceiling. He rolled to his feet, glaring at the villain duo. "Look at that, Bolt. We had a little coward on our tail." 

"Shame he wasn't quieter." 

"How did you know?" Batman asked as he stood up. 

"Your little protege gave you away." Wally disappeared and reappeared a second later, a squirming kid in his arms. 

"Let me go!" 

"Hush, kid. The adults are talking." Wally grinned at Batman.

"Let him go." 

"Or what? Your air support will shoot us down? Then they'll take the kid too. I have to say, Bruce, you're not very careful." 

Bruce's eyes widened.

"Oh, yes. I know your name. I also know your kid, Tim Drake, and the commissioner's daughter, Barbara Gordon. That hair is a dead give away." 

"What do you want?" 

Dick shrugged. "Fun." 

"Fun?" 

"Life is so boring, Batsy! I'm just spicing things up for me and my hubby over here. Besides, it's not like we had any other choice. Life in the streets is no fun! But when you live like kings? Best feeling in the world."

"I can't hit them without hitting Tim." Barbara growled through Bruce's earpiece. 

"Back off. circle around a four block radius." 

"Do you need me down there?" 

"No." 

"But-" 

"I said no." 

"Fine, but don't chew me out later for not helping." 

"Send your little bat away? Shame. I hear her hair looks like mine here, but I've never seen it for myself." 

"Let the boy go." 

"I dunno. The kid seems a little thin. You feeding this guy?" Dick poked at Tim's belly. 

"He feeds me fine!" 

"Feisty. I like you." Tim huffed as Nightwing ruffled his hair. Just who did this guy think he was?

"I won't tell you again: let him go." 

"Come on, Bats. Do you ever have any fun?" 

"Fun isn't kidnapping." 

"We haven't kidnapped him. He's right here." 

"You're holding him hostage." 

"Nah, just getting him out of the way. Hey, Dark Bolt." 

"Yeah?" 

"Go take the kid to Red. I want some alone time with the father." 

"You got it." Wally disappeared again, dragging Tim with him.

"Now, we can have some fun." Dick chuckled, unable to suppress his grin. 

"The only fun I'll have is seeing you off to prison." 

"Now now, that's no way to talk to a teenager." 

"Juvie, then." 

"Can't you ever just work with me?" Dick huffed, crossing his arms. 

Batman couldn't believe it. Was Nightwing, top villain in Gotham...pouting? "How old are you?" 

"Why does that matter? You're just gonna try to take me to jail anyway." Dick sat on a desk.

"You can't be any older than sixteen. You say you lived on the streets. Surely you had to know your parents." 

"My parents are dead, Brucie. Just like yours! Only difference is mine died from falling, yours died from a gun." 

"That's not much different." 

"Yes, it is! Your parents died instantly! Mine fell over a hundred feet, and had no way out! Nobody was there to help them,  just like nobody was there to help me! Don't you dare tell me they're similar." Dick growled.

Bruce could barely keep up with the boy's mood swings. "Why don't you let me help you now?" 

"Yeah, right. Your version of 'help' is my version of prison. Stuffy galas, fake men and women, brat kids. That's what your life is. Bolt and I don't deal with any of that." 

"You wouldn't have to deal with that. Just let me help you out of crime."

Dick busted out laughing. Loud, booming peals of laughter that shook his body and sent a shiver down Bruce's spine. "Oh, you're a riot! I knew we found the right city! All the other heroes are just as boring, but you're hilarious! You really think you can help!" Dick rolled onto his back, still cackling at the World's Greatest (or Worse) Detective. 

"We're done here. You're coming with me." Bruce pulled out a set of cuffs.

Dick grinned, flipping to the ceiling. "Thanks, but no thanks. Can't leave my hubby waiting. Ta ta, Bats! It's been fun!" Dick leapt up to the broken window, grabbing Wally's hand as he ran past. 

"Have fun?" Wally grinned as Dick giggled. 

"Hell yeah! I think I bamboozled him." 

"I'm sure you did. I led Barbara and Tim on a wild goose chase, so we've got our distraction." 

"Let's go home, then. No use staying at a boring party!" 

"Let's go!"