Undercover

Once again, Batman was assigning the team a mission. There were reports of Juvenile Detention Center prisoners going missing. Not, just any Juvenile Detention Center, no. This was the Gotham Detention center.

Batman assigned Dick and Wally to go undercover and find out what was going on. Dick was nervous about returning, fears about his past swirling in his head. Luckily Zatana was giving Dick a ring that changed his appearance, should anyone from his past see him. Wally and the backup team were the only ones who could see through the ring.

They made their way into the Detention Center easily, blending in. Dick had been very particular about how he looked, saying it mattered to the inmates. How you looked determined where you stood. He had hair swept to the right that went down to his chin, shaved off on the left. He had a tattoo on his neck, a dragon that slithered up to his cheek. He still had black hair, but his eyes were a cruel yellow.

Many of the younger kids backed away from him, whispering to themselves. Very few inmates had the gall to rip off their sleeves, showing their muscles. He was covered in scars as well, showing he had experience. Many wondered what he did.

In the courtyard, a group of boys walked up. Dick ignored them, bench pressing weights. Wally was sitting next to him, nervous. He didn't feel like he fit in. He knew Dick didn't, but he could play it off. Wally stuck out with his red hair.

"So, you're the newbies." The ringleader asked. "What's it to you?" Dick asked, boredom lacing his voice. Wally knew he could lift a lot, but he didn't even sound strained. "I run this place. If anyone new comes in, we tell em the rules." "Ya hear that, Walls?" "Hear what?" "I hear a little bitch talking to me."

The leader growled. "My name's Tomcat." "So, a scaredy cat. Need a group of people to protect you when you piss off the wrong person? That's sad. At least when I start a fight I can finish it on my own." Dick scoffed, sitting up. He had barely broken a sweat. "I don't know who you are." "Name? Broken Wings. Now run along before you get in too deep. Unlike you, I'm not scared of a fist fight." Dick stood up, offering Wally his hand. At this point, the inmates had noticed something going on.

Tomcat growled. "You've got a lot of nerve." "Better to have a lot than to have none." "You insolate little-" "Little what? Heaven forbid he says something he regrets, Walls. I'd have to tear him a new one." Dick looked towards Tomcat, amusement in his eyes. "That's it! Here, now. Let's settle this." Tomcat growled, rolling his sleeves up. "Finally! I was wondering when you'd grow a pair."

Tomcat swung at Dick's head. Dick dodged it, elbowing him in the back and kneeing him in the stomach. Tomcat collapsed, and Dick clicked his tongue. "What wrong? Can't live up to your words? Get up, if you think you can keep going. If not, just lay there and cry. That's all you're good for."

Tomcat stumbled to his feet, his nose bleeding. Dick saw the guards running over, and knew he had to keep the act up. "Back off! This is my fight." Dick barked, making the cops stop. "How the hell are you doing that?" Kaldur asked. "What, you didn't think I was innocent, did you?" Dick smirked as Tomcat lunged at him again.

Dick knocked Tomcat out with a single punch to the chin. He crumpled to the ground, groaning softly. "Anyone else? I'm warmed up, ready to go!" Dick taunted. No one moved besides Wally, who grabbed Dick's hand. Dick wrapped his arm around Wally's waist, glaring at the crowd. They quickly dispersed, including the officers. Someone dragged Tomcat's unconscious form away.

Dick sat Wally on the bench, grabbing his face. "Did I scare you?" Dick whispered. "A little. I've never seen you like that." Wally said shakily. "I'm sorry. I know I sounded like your dad. I didn't mean to scare you." Dick kissed Wally's cheek, sitting next to him. "Just...promise me once the mission is over you won't yell like that again." "I promise. Do you want to go inside, to the cell?" Wally nodded.