A servant's beginning

Sir Polain had been riding through the forest when he heard the howls. He knew as all Knights did that wolves were not to be messed with, but he was curious and they were doing something. He decided to investigate, as it would provide entertainment.

He hadn't been expecting a child to be on the ground, surrounded by hungry wolves. "Hey!" He shouted, pulling his sword up. The wolves growled, turning their attention to him. The boy didn't move, which worried him.

The first wolf leapt at him, and he kicked it away. It yelped as it crashed into a tree, and ran with its tail between its legs. The others started to close in on him, completely forgetting about the child behind them. They had a bigger target now.

Sir Polain was looking was looking for a way out when an arrow pierced one of the wolves back. He looked to his left, where Sir William and Sir Oliver stood. The wolves quickly retreated, running off until the woods. "Thanks, boys." "What were you thinking? You know better than to mess with wolves." Sir William snapped.

Sir Polain walked over to the unconscious boy. "This is why." "He's so young! He can't be more than four." Sir Oliver whispered, kneeling down next to Sir Polain. Sir Polain gently pulled the boy into his lap, surveying him for injuries. Sir Oliver paled. "His back." Sir Polain gently turned him, paling himself when he saw the wounds. They were deep, and would clearly scar.

"We need to get him help. Isn't that village nearby?" "Yes, I believe so." "They should be able to help. We need to hurry." "Dragon." The boy mumbled. "What did he say?" Sir William asked. "Dragon." He repeated, but made no other move. "He must be half awake. Maybe a dragon caused those wounds."

The boy continued to ramble, talking about a Tati, and a Mami. He talked about a fire, and screams in the air. He talked about a spear, which seemed special to him. A little toy horse named Kao, which was his favorite to play with.

Sir William gasped as they came over the mountain, eyes widening at the destruction. "I don't think they can help us." "Wasn't the kid taking about a dragon?" Sir Oliver asked. "He was. Could he have been here?" "That, or he was nearby. We need to get him to Aminia."

The boy rode on Sir Polain's lap, wrapped up in his cape. He was still babbling, talking about a Morina, and a Kamata. They seemed to be his friends. How was he going to break the news to the kid? He clearly didn't remember them being killed.

"Aminia! We need your help." Sir William called, grabbing the boy from Sir Polain and taking him inside. Aminia's apprentice, Agatha, was in the corner with a kitten, watching as Aminia ran to the Knight. "What happened?" "We're not sure. We think a dragon might have gotten him. He was mumbling, and he was close to a burned village."

They laid him on his front, revealing the ugly wounds. "I can heal them, but they will scar. I can do nothing about that." "As long as he survives. Scars can be hidden. Death cannot." Aminia nodded, pulling several vials from her shelves.

"Iscara!" Agatha whispered, trying to grab the kitten before it got in the way. It leapt onto the cot, sniffing at the boy. "Agatha, what is your familiar doing now?" "I don't know! She's never done this before." Agatha blushed, grabbing the kitten. "Keep her under control. She is your familiar, not mine."

The boy remained unconscious as Aminia worked her magic, occasionally calling for the Tati person again. It seemed he was important to the boy, although Sir Polain couldn't think why. Maybe Tati was a friend or a brother? Possibly a father?

Aminia finally stepped back. "He'll be fine. You better have a place for him to stay. One apprentice is more than enough for me." Sir Polain nodded. "We do." Sir William shot him a look. "Than take him. He needs rest, and someone to care for him while he's regaining his strength. It's a miracle that boy isn't dead."

Sir Polain carried the boy out, holding him close. "Where the hell after we going to keep him? His village is burned down, and we can't watch a child all day!" "We can't. But Prince Wallace will need a servant soon, considering how old his is, and it would be best for the servant to be his age." "He can barely form a sentence!" "We don't know that. We don't know his education level, and he can probably learn how to serve quickly. The sooner he starts learning, the better."

"Sir Polain! I didn't expect to see you with a child." Elana, the head cook, said as the Knights pulled up. "We ran across him in the woods. His village was destroyed, and he needs somewhere to stay while he heals." "What about the King?" "What about me?"

"King Rudolph." Sir Polain bowed as best he could with the child in his arms. "Who is that?" "We're not sure. We found him in the woods, injured and alone. The closest village had been burned to the ground, so we thought we'd bring him here. He could be a servant, so that when Prince Wallace's passes away, he can take his place. It is a better fate than what he was originally facing." He explained.

Rudolph looked at the child. "How long would it take for him to learn?" "I believe he will learn quickly." "He may stay, for now. If he causes too much trouble, he will be sent away. Am I understood?" "Yes, Sire." "He can stay with my son for now. If he is to serve the Prince, he needs to get along with him."

"Who will take care of him?" "Prince Wallace and Philip will share that duty. Take him up, and go to bed. I don't need an invasion because my Knights were too tired." "Yes, Sire." Sir Polain hurried away, heading to the Prince's chambers.

Wally stirred as his door was opened, groaning softly. "Philip?" "No, Sir Polain." "What are you doing here?" "We found this boy in the woods. He needs a new home, and your father decided that he'll be staying with you for a little bit. He is very weak, so he needs sleep." Sir Polain set the sleeping boy on the foot of the bed, covering him with an extra blanket.

"Why is he down there?" "Your father would not be pleased to know a commoner slept in the same bed as you, so he must sleep on top of it. Go back to sleep. You are still young, and need your rest." Wally laid back down, but didn't go to sleep. He waited until Sir Polain left, before crawling out from under the blanket and over to the little boy.

This boy couldn't be more than four years old. He was five, and he could barely dress himself! To have to be a servant, and at that young? His father must be crazy! There were tasks that his young body couldn't handle, and he'd need help. Of course, Wally couldn't do much better.

"I'll keep you safe. I promise." Wally whispered, tucking the blanket in around the younger. It was something his mother did, and it had always helped him. Maybe he could help the younger feel at home here. It was the least he could do for someone his father decided to be his servant.