f o u r t y - f i v e

"I'm really sorry~"

"Don't apologize. It's no big deal."

Taehyung sighs, looking down at his hands as Jeongguk put the twins down in their room. To say he was embarrassed was an understatement. He hated how out of control he felt durning the attack, and he hated that he let his anxiety get to him. Whenever he felt anxious he tried ignoring it, he would just push the feelings away until they subsided.

But something about being in the same room as Jaehyung's kidnapper made his heart feel like it was going to stop. He wanted to run, he wanted to get as far away from the situation as possible but he feared what Jihyuk would do if he tried. What if he took one of the twins again? Or worse, what if he hurt one of them? Or what if he hurt someone else close to him?

"Hey, what's wrong?" Jeongguk asks, snapping Taehyung out of his thoughts after seeing the tears forming in his eyes.

Taehyung shakes his head as he wipes them away, swallowing hard before answering. "I thought he was g-going to hurt them."

"Listen to me, Taehyung," Jeongguk says walking over to the brunette. "I won't let anything or anyone hurt the twins, or you."

"You said that before~"

"And I meant it."

Taehyung looks unconvinced as he wipes the remainder of his tears. "The last time you said that they took Jaehyung."

"They wouldn't have hurt him, they couldn't~"

    "That doesn't make it okay, Jeongguk." Taehyung says tiredly, he felt like he's explained this a million times. Between Jeongguk, Seokjin, and Jimin, he's been constantly explaining himself since he got sole custody of the twins.

    "I know it doesn't, and it kills me that I can't go back in time and do things differently." Jeongguk says stepping closer to Taehyung. "I never wanted to hurt you or the twins, Taehyung. You don't know half the shit I did to keep you guys safe."

    "I think I should go." Taehyung says turning to leave the room. He didn't want to have this conversation right now, not when he was still feeling anxious.

    "That's not fair, Taehyung." Jeongguk says following him out, shutting the door behind himself as he does so. "You always shut down the conversation before I get to explain myself~"

    "Because I already know what you're going to say!" The brunette exclaims facing him. "You've been saying the same shit for the past, what, six months?"

    "So have you!" Jeongguk says back in the same tone, a look of disbelief on his face. "You've kept the exact same energy since I saw you at the first custody hearing."

    "What did you expect from me, Jeongguk?" Taehyung shouts, he was getting angry now. "Did you expect me to come running back into your arms after hearing you were in a gang?"

    "It's not a fucking gang!" Jeongguk snaps.

    "You went to prison, you were being charged with major felonies and misdemeanors! And actual murder if I'm remembering correctly?" Taehyung points out. "What did you expect me to do with that information?"

    "The charges were dropped, you wanna know why? Because I didn't fucking do anything." Jeongguk says, his jaw tense with frustration. "Those cops wanted to pin multiple crimes on me because I'm the one they got, but I didn't do any of the shit they said."

    "But your family did, the people that raised you did." Taehyung says, his eyes glossed over with angry and hurt tears. "How much more different can you be? You were raised by murders, apparently. So what does that make you?"