o n e - h u n d r e d - o n e

Jeongguk sets the kids up with a movie downstairs before reluctantly walking back up to the bedroom where Taehyung is still sitting grading papers. He closes the door behind himself before he says anything.

    "Is everything alright?" Taehyung asks looking up at him with concern in his eyes.

    "Yeah," Jeongguk nods, walking over and sitting down on the bed. "I had to talk to my sponsor."

Taehyung nods. "That's who's been calling the past few days?"

    "Yeah," Jeongguk nods.

    "They said something about payments from your treatment in 2022." Taehyung says, closing his grade book and sitting it to the side. "Treatment for what?"

Jeongguk looks away, his expression falling blank as he avoids Taehyung's eyes. "Uhm...I was going to tell you..."

    "Tell me what?"

    "I-It happened a while ago, I just never~"

    "What happened a while ago?"

Jeongguk swallows hard, his words caught in the back of his throat. He didn't know how to say this, but he had to say it. He's kept it away from Taehyung for long enough.

Taehyung has a feeling he already knows what he's going to say. "Jeongguk?"

    "I'm sorry," The ravenette says looking up at Taehyung with deep regret and shame behind his eyes. "I was going to tell you it just wasn't ever the right time~"

    "You relapsed?" Taehyung asks, he doesn't sound upset but all Jeongguk sees is disappointment behind his eyes. "After the boys were here?"

Jeongguk releases a shaky breath. "I was going to tell you~"

"But you didn't, Jeongguk." Taehyung says, his eyebrows drawing together. "It's been over seven years since then."

"I know," Jeongguk says closing his eyes for a second. "I would've told you sooner, I wanted to tell you sooner, but I couldn't. Not while the custody trials were still going on~"

"How'd you pass the drug tests if you were using again?" Taehyung asks, things weren't adding up. How could Jeongguk's relapse go completely unnoticed? "Were you high during visitations?"

"So much shit was happening around that time and I wasn't in a good place." Jeongguk tries so explain. "I was trying to cope~"

"There are better ways to cope, Jeongguk~"

"You don't think I know that?"

Taehyung sighs, looking off as he tries to remember if there were any instances where he should've known.

"I was living with one of my friends and I didn't have the willpower to stay away from it." Jeongguk says. "I went to rehab as soon as I moved out. I was clean again by the time I got weekends, I swear."

"You cheated the drug test." Taehyung says shaking his head. "All these years and you never told me."

"If I would've told you then you would've taken them away from me." Jeongguk says. "I couldn't risk that, Taehyung."

"Maybe you could've used the extra time away from them."

"Are you serious?"

"Are you?"

Jeongguk sighs, biting his lip in thought for a moment. "You don't get to be mad at me about this, Taehyung."

"I don't?" Taehyung chuckles.