s i x t y - n i n e

"The father's here."

"I'm sorry I'm late, traffic's crazy out there."

Taehyung looks over at the sound of his voice, frowning in confusion as he walks in.

"It's not a problem at all, sweetheart." Dr. Song says before waving the nurse on. "You can take a seat here."

"What are you doing here?" Taehyung asks in a low voice when Dr. Song walks to the other side of the room.

"I'm here for you." Jeongguk smiles softly as he reaches out and catches the brunette's tears with his thumbs.

Taehyung pulls away, avoiding Jeongguk's eyes as Dr. Song proceeds with the ultrasound. He feels the ravenette looking at him but he keeps his eyes forward.

"Ah, I see, I see." Dr. Song says as soon as there's a clear picture. "If you can see here," She says pointing to the screen. "They've just wrapped themselves up in the umbilical cord."

"Is it alright?" Taehyung asks looking at the screen.

"Let me just..." She moves the wand again before the sound of the heartbeat thuds to life in the room. "See, baby's fine."

Taehyung knows he should feel relieved but for some reason he doesn't feel anything.

    "How could you get the baby to untangle itself?" Jeongguk asks from beside Taehyung.

    "It's not around the baby's neck so I'm not too worried about it. It should work itself out in a day or so. If the tangle becomes worse or it wraps around the baby's neck then we might have to schedule a cesarean section right away." Dr. Song explains as she stands. "I do want to run a few blood tests since this is the first appointment you've had since earlier in your pregnancy."

Taehyung nods as she hands him some napkins to wipe his stomach off with. He can  feel Jeongguk's eyes on his trembling hands but he ignores him. Dr. Song draws some blood before leaving the two alone.

    "Where are the boys?" Taehyung asks without looking at Jeongguk.

    "With your mom." The ravenette answers. "I went there to talk to you and she told me you were on the way here so I came as quick as I could."

    "You shouldn't have come." The brunette says, his eyes cast downward as he suppressed the tears that were still threatening to fall from his eyes. "I don't want you here."

    "What happened the last time you went to the hospital?" Jeongguk asks, disregarding Taehyung's words. "Tell me."

    "What are you talking about?" The brunette says closing his eyes. He wishes he could stop himself from wanting to cry.

    "You've avoided coming here since you got back, even when you were in pain. Every time I suggested the hospital you said you couldn't." Jeongguk says. "When I got here you were crying and your hands haven't stopped shaking the entire time."

"Nothing happened." Taehyung says, his voice cracking.

"Don't lie." Jeongguk says firmly. "Tell me what happened."

"Why? What the hell are you going to do about it now?" The brunette snaps, looking at Jeongguk with tears in his eyes. "Or do you want to know so you can report to Jimin after we leave?"

"I want to know so that I know how to comfort you right now." Jeongguk says honestly, keeping a calm tone despite Taehyung's snappiness. "Is that alright?"

"No, it's not, because I don't want to tell you." Taehyung says looking away and wiping his face.

"Did Chiwon do something?" Jeongguk pushes anyway.