No Kindness for the Coward

»»-------¤-------««

»»-------¤-------««

I sighed deeply as my gaze continued up towards the ceiling, premature sunlight threatening to brighten the sky within a couple of hours, dreading the moment when it would strain my eyes when I would walk outside. Kiera had managed to turn over on her own during her sleep, her head now on my chest as my fingers softly toyed with her hair, relieved that she had barely woken up throughout the night due to her pain. Her body wasn't letting her. Those small knuckles of hers were broken and swollen, yet her index and middle finger slowly toyed with the brail print of my dog tags that were tucked under my shirt.

She was so soft and warm against me, almost luring me back into a sleep of my own, but I knew I had to get up sooner or later to avoid wandering eyes and questions that I certainly wasn't going to answer. 

But a few more minutes wouldn't hurt... 

What I didn't notice was that she had been staring up at me, seeming to forget the pain of her own to focus on mine, "What're you thinking about?" 

I didn't want to look at her like this - to remind myself of what she had just gone through knowing I could've prevented it. I was carrying the blame like I always did, yet this time, it hurt worse than usual. 

It hurt because she was someone I loved, and I knew first-hand how losing someone you love kills a part of you, too

"Thinkin' about how many times I could shoot them before they died."

"I would've beaten you to it."

My arm tightened around her shoulders, gently pulling her closer to me before I pressed a kiss to her forehead, "Not this time, love."

My head shot up when I heard a faint noise from the interior of the house. Someone was up and moving around, and as much as I knew I had some sort of seniority in my Task Force, I wasn't about to find out who could've been up and looking for me, especially when they knew my habits, and laying with a woman while on duty definitely wasn't one of them, nor has it ever happened before until now.  

"Bloody hell," I grumbled. "I have to get up, love," She nodded as I slowly slid my arm out from under her, replacing it with a pillow and pulling the blanket over her shoulders before sliding my balaclava back over my head, tucking the excess between my neck and collar before putting on my jacket and tactical vest, ensuring that I was in no position of suspicion before my hand hovered over the door knob, "I'll see you in a while, yeah?" 

"I'm not going anywhere." She hummed at me, her poor body exhausted and bruised, yet her eyes still had a glimmer of that personality of hers that I loved - so much in fact that I didn't leave the room until I kissed her one last time. I couldn't get enough of it, nor did I want to. I loved the way she let me kiss her or toy with her fingers, subconsciously knowing that touch was one of my "love languages."