Black Powder Soul

»»-------¤-------««

»»-------¤-------««

"I'm surprised you're still in this shit hole town," Isaac Graves said to Malcolm, the brother of Phillip Graves and a retired Case Officer of the C.I.A. His grey eyes held a sharp stare as well as a malicious agenda - something both Malcolm and Isaac shared. "Although I can't say I'm quite surprised." 

"Why's that?" Malcolm questioned, pouring Isaac another round of bourbon. 

"You haven't heard?"

Malcolm shook his head in confusion. 

Isaac's face pulled into a grin, pulling out the file folder that was tucked between the fold of his laptop. "You're a wanted man now. Seems like our old friend had an investigation opened on you for apparent war crimes." 

That fucking bitch, Malcolm grimaced, pursing his lips and imagining the sadistic smirk that would plaster on Kiera's face. "There's no proof of that." 

"Perhaps, but there's still an investigation. Shepherd has been wanted, too."

"Is that why he sent you to me?" 

"Indeed," Isaac nodded. "I worked for Shepherd last year. Chief Laswell was my supervisor before I received my promotion. I was Shepherd's second-in-command up until he practically disappeared. Nobody knows where he is. All of his calls have come from an unidentifiable location." 

Right under your nose, Officer, Malcolm mused to himself, feeling like he had, already, a subtle power over the Case Officer before him. "Understood."

"We are on a high-value target now," Isaac said, leaning over the table, the smell of bourbon on his breath. "She is a threat to us. She killed my brother in cold blood when all he was doing was defending his own." 

"Do you know her?" Malcolm asked, a hint of anxiety coursing through him as he knew it wasn't going to be an easy fight.

"Know of her, not personally. She works for Laswell - was sent to ally with the Mexican Special Forces and 141 to help find Hassan. I was assigned to stay in D.C. with Shepherd and was deployed to Chicago after we received word that Hassan was there. My orders were to eliminate her. She was getting too close to Shepherd, and he wasn't having it, especially after she killed Graves." 

"Well, forgive me for sounding rude, but your plan didn't work, Officer. She survived the blast." 

"Oh, I'm aware. I should've stayed around to make sure she was dead, but I left before anybody saw me." 

"The report said that it was one of Hassan's men who shot the launcher?" 

"Inside job, son," Isaac chuckled. "You'll learn that there are many ways to skin a cat, my friend."

"Shepherd said we don't have much time-"

"We don't. We need to do something and fast. Have any ideas before I start stating my own?"