Tensions High

»»-------¤-------««

»»-------¤-------««

Malcolm sat at the counter of his kitchen, browsing the internet on his laptop while enjoying a cup of hot coffee, sighing as his phone rang. It's too early for your shit, he grimaced, desperately wanting to decline the call. "Yeah?"

"Need you at the airport by noon. Your partner is in flight now."

"Love the secrecy of it all, General."

"That's the joy of it," Shepherd chuckled. "This plan may be working out better than I thought..."

"Why do you say that?"

"I heard through the grapevine that she managed to fly the 141 to her home for the holidays. This will work out perfectly in our favor."

"You talking about those British assholes that raided the HQ?"

"Yep, and the Mexican Commander. Vargas, was it?"

"I guess? I didn't give a shit who he was. I just knew who I was supposed to be protecting."

"Understood. I'm leaving the decision in your hands as to what you plan to have done. Just focus on the objective."

"Affirmative. I'll be at the airport by noon." Malcolm sighed.

"Good. Report back to me soon."

"Will do."

Sighing, he continued his attention to his assumed well-deserved coffee before setting a reminder on his phone just in case he was to doze off once he sat on his couch.

»»-------¤-------««

Kiera's eyes shot open at the sound of whistling artillery shells, almost startled as she vaguely remembered she was in her own bed with her body nestled against Simon's, however she wasn't in the same position she had fallen asleep in. Turning to see Simon still next to her, his gaze was fixated on the movie playing before him, evidence of insomnia staining the whites of his eyes. It was unusual to see him like this, especially considering he never stayed in front of the television willingly unless she insisted for a movie night to unwind, even though most movies they watched consisted of making fun of a person's idiocy in a scary movie. "How long have you been up?" She groaned, forcing herself to flutter her eyes open.

"All night." He sighed.

"Are you okay?" She hummed, moving closer to him, sensing the stiffness in his chest.

"I'm fine," He huffed. "Just couldn't sleep."

"Do you want to talk about it-"

"No." He replied sternly, stopping Kiera's concerned expression as he cut her off.

She frowned, leaving him to his thoughts as she felt prying would irritate him further. "Okay."