Rough Start

Author's Note:  I'm so sorry it took so long to update! I've been working out of state in Tennessee and returned home to Montana yesterday. I've been having some major writer's block too and I'm surprised I managed to put another chapter out! This is a filler chapter mostly, but who doesn't love a filler? I hope you enjoy! Feels nice to be back!

*

Simon exhaled a deep breath through his nose, glancing over to see Kiera sleeping on her side, her back facing him as the tips of his fingers rested on her hip, always managing to keep his touch close to her as her presence secured him in his most vulnerable state - sleep. Although they had a disagreement hours prior, they never went to bed angry with each other, always their last words before falling asleep being I love you

He fought his drowsiness, hating how this became a routine the night before he returned to his nightshift duties. Bringing his arm over and turning onto his side, he gently grasped her shoulder, turning her towards him so that she could rest her head on his chest. "Simon?" She murmured. 

"Who else would it be, love?" He chuckled, turning his head to place a loving kiss to her forehead. "Just wanted to hold you closer tonight." 

She hummed, tilting her head upwards to where her nose pressed against his jaw, "I'm fine with that." 

He grinned at her admission, pressing his lips to hers before moving his free arm to bend behind his head, feeling content in the position as he found it ten times more difficult to stay awake even though the movie he had put on held his interest. His hand that clutched her close to him began moving up and down along the column of her back, satisfied to feel her warm skin against his fingertips. 

After a half-hour, Simon began losing the fight of keeping his eyes open, Kiera's comforting breaths and warm skin being the blame, his eyes shot open when Kimber began growling towards the window. "Quiet, lass!" He warned, his tone low, watching the dog look at him with perked ears before returning her gaze back towards the window, growling lowly. This worried Simon as Kimber had never done this before, growing more and more worried when she continued to ignore his commands and begin to bark. Huffing, he gently eased Kiera off of him before he moved off of the bed and walked towards the window and peering through the curtain.

What he saw was infuriating.

"This fucking scavenging bastard." Simon grumbled to himself, hastily putting on a shirt before rushing through the house, his adrenaline coursing through his veins as he didn't know whether to knock the kid's head off of his shoulders or kick him to the curb for trying to break into Kiera's truck - her vehicle being the only one unable to fit into the garage. 

Simon's gaze was frightening as he silenced his steps along the sidewalk and towards the driveway, getting as close as he could to gain pleasure from hearing Baler's weak attempts as an excuse, having a reason to scold him for doing something wrong, hoping he would learn from it.

Or at least learning not to sneak around Simon at his own home.

"What in the fuck are you doing?"

Baler nearly jumped out of his skin, turning around to face Simon with his back against the side of the truck. "Actually, I already know what you're doing," He shook his finger. "I guess having a roof over your head and a hot meal wasn't good enough for you so you had to resort to snooping around her vehicle to see what you can steal?" 

"No, I-" 

"Save it," He warned. "Nothing you can say right now is going to convince me you were just going for a stroll in the middle of the night. Did you think you were just going to get a free meal, steal from us, then walk away?"