Women Love a Man in Uniform

Kiera's Point of View:

I was obsessed with my new truck. Mainly because it had a heated seat option that my previous one didn't have, and it came in handy all year round. Kristen was burning up as it was the end of Summer now, but I was freezing, so the dual temperature control came in handy.

We had just left Kathy's Café for lunch and were on our way to a local coffee shop to get our favorite iced coffee. Simon didn't like when I drove while pregnant, but he didn't forbid me to do so (nor could he). I kept my pregnancy pillow between my baby bump and the steering wheel, going five miles under the speed limit in the slow lane, having no mind of the police car right behind me.

"I haven't had an iced coffee since the last time me and you hung out." Kristen admitted.

"Don't lie, girl," I arched my brow at her. "You're just as obsessed with iced coffee as I am."

"I've been making it at home, but it's not the same as getting it from a coffee shop."

"Ain't that the truth," I scoffed. "If I have coffee, it has to be decaffeinated with sugar-free creamer because of the baby."

"Are you excited?"

"Of course I am, I'm just terrified."

"Why?"

"Because I feel like Evie resents me – she's attached to Simon like an umbilical cord and acts like she doesn't want anything to do with me. Baler has been distant from me since we were on vacation and ran right past me when we picked him up from the program. He's barely talked to me since."

"He's probably ashamed of what he admitted and doesn't know how to apologize about it," Kristen shrugged. "I wouldn't worry too much about it. As for the twins, it's normal for them to seem like they prefer one parent over the other. Is Jacob still attached to you?"

"Like Velcro," I smiled. "I love that he's so attached to me. I just wish Evie was, too, but I don't want to take that attachment she gives Simon away from him."

"I understand that. I know he loves it."

"He does. He loves being a father. I guess I feel selfish for feeling like this because I want all of my kids to be attached to me like Jacob is because I love being a mother just as much as Simon loves being a dad. It's stupid, but I feel like neither of my twins should resent me when they rely on me. Fuck, that sounds so selfish." I frowned, hating these thoughts going through my mind.

And all I could think about was if this new baby was going to eventually resent me once he or she is born.

"It's not selfish. You have a lot of hormones going through your body," Kristen assured me, except her sudden gasp when she looked at the side mirror broke me out of my depressing thoughts. "You're getting pulled over!"

"What? I didn't do anything wrong!" I gasped, growing anxious as there was nowhere to pull over right away. I couldn't see that well without my glasses, so the bright LED's of this officer's car drove me into anxiety overdrive. I eventually pulled over into a side lot off of the road, putting the truck in park and turning the ignition off, anxiously rubbing my belly in a last-minute attempt to soothe my nerves.

The officer sat in his vehicle for a minute or two before I saw the door open. I physically couldn't reach for my insurance and registration, so I opted to wait until the officer asked for it instead of showing movement inside the vehicle. Hearing the subtle tap from the officer on my rear taillight, I couldn't help but sigh in relief when I saw who the officer was.

My own fucking husband.

I knew he wasn't pulling me over just because, he had a reason to, and I didn't know why.