Desperate to be Wrong

Simon's Point of View:

The dreadful morning of returning to work finally came, and I dreaded it more than Kiera did. She seemed to be doing a lot better, and I wanted nothing more than to stay home with her for a few more days, but I had no choice but to return to work.

The twins were now in a new daycare facility after careful judgement, which we were both uneasy about after the last incident, but Kiera and I both took it with careful consideration, and I knew that it would make things easier for her now that she had a new baby to look after. I was due in at ten o'clock, having plenty of time to take the twins to their new daycare and Baler to school, having enough time to come back home and feed Stella before Kiera woke up for the day.

When I returned, Kiera was able to walk on her own without any help, except I didn't want her to risk hurting herself. "What're you doing up, love?" I smiled at her, leaning down to press a kiss to her lips after she had finished moisturizing her face, my hands resting on either side of her hips.

"I'm so tired of laying around in bed," She sighed. "I was determined to get up on my own so I know I'm capable of doing things around the house while you're at work."

"Well, I'm proud of you for doing so, but I don't want you to end up hurting yourself." I sighed, looking at her through the mirror before pulling up a chair for her to sit in when I saw that she was uncomfortable on her own feet.

"I'm being careful, Simon. Even using those crutches that you refused to use when you got hurt in that wreck."

"Knew they'd come in handy for something, I guess." I shrugged, grabbing Kiera's hairbrush from the counter and grasping her tresses gently in my big hand, gently detangling her thick hair.

"I was just going to do that, Simon—"

"Reaching your arms up to brush your hair puts strain on your stomach. Can't have you doing that, love."

She blushed at my answer, relaxing her body in the chair as she watched me through the mirror. "Were the twins throwing a tantrum this morning on the way to daycare?"

"No, not until I got them to daycare," I chuckled. "Where's your mum?"

"I called her after you left, she didn't answer, so I left her a message. She's probably still asleep."

I didn't like the sound of this, but I needed to know for sure before I started to worry about Eva.

"Just let me know when she gets here. Are you going to be alright when I go?"

"Well, I don't want you to, but I know you have to," She frowned. "But I'll be okay. I always am."

"I'll always be a phone call away, love," I smiled, leaning down to press a kiss to her temple before I began to braid her hair for her, keeping it back and out of her face, just like she would have liked. "I'm also going to start digging on what we talked about this morning. It's been in the back of my mind since."

"Will you tell me what you find out?"

"You know I will."

I proceeded to get dressed in my uniform, sensing Kiera's eyes on me as I did so, and I couldn't help but blush. "I'll pick up the kids on my way home."

"Okay, babe. I'll try to have dinner ready by the time you get home—"

"You should know I don't expect you to do that, love."

"But I want to, Simon. I won't have much to do today."

"Only if you feel comfortable, but know I don't expect it, and neither do the kids. I'll call you an hour before I'm due to come home and see how you feel. If it comes down to it, I'll pick up something on the way home."