Undercover

Author's Note: This will be the LAST chapter of this book as Wattpad will not let me add more chapters, so I will be starting another book that will be titled "Bound to Forever" to keep it similiar to "It Goes On" (like the song :)). I will be working on composing the new book cover/description tonight, but I probably won't post another chapter until tomorrow. 

Simon's Point of View:

I couldn't bring myself to look at Eva's face after knowing for a fact that the report stated there were two bullet wounds in her head, but I also couldn't imagine the fact of Kiera having to see her own mother like this.

I gulped, "Wh-Where's her belongings?"

"Just a moment. I'll go get it for you." The examiner nodded. Cook then came up behind me, gently putting his hand on my shoulder, "Riley, let's get some air."

I wanted to pull away from him just to stay another moment near her, my heart completely shattered having to look at another mother figure in my life being murdered. This wasn't an accidental killing, this was personal, and I was going to find whoever it was who killed her and make them suffer for it.

Eventually, I found the strength to let go of Eva's hand and tuck it back under the sheet, remembering how her hands always got cold in her old age when she was alive. God, I didn't know how I was going to tell Kiera what happened. She had been through so much heartache and stress in the last few years, and her mother was one of the only people to keep her sane. Now that she was gone, things were going to change forever, and as much as I wanted to keep this from her for as long as I could until I could figure out what exactly happened, I knew I couldn't keep this from her any longer.

"We're going to get who did this," Cook assured me once we stepped outside, except this time, he gave me space. "I'm so sorry, man."

"Yeah," I shook my head. "I don't know how I'm going to tell my wife."

"Finley said he got a lead on the phone number he found. Says he wants us to tag along with him to see what we can find out. I can call the station and have a couple of deputies go to your house—"

"No, I need to talk to her myself, but I'm going to wait until I find out more about this before I talk to her. I can't just go home and wait for her to ask me how my day was and I have to tell her I worked a murder case and her own mum was the victim." I scoffed.

"I understand, Simon."

"Mr. Riley," Finley said as he met us outside, carrying a small box in his hands. "This was all of her belongings that were found at the crime scene."

"Thanks."

"I got a lead on that Montana phone number. Care to join me? Or would you rather take some time to process all of this?"

"I'll come. I need to figure this out."

"Understood. You two follow me."

*

"So, Paul, when I called, I informed you that your phone number was found at the situs of a crime," Finley explained, taking a seat on the young man's couch when he invited us into his home. This lad looked to be in his early thirties, clad in a nice polo shirt, leather shoes, and khaki pants. He definitely didn't look like a Wyoming or Montana native, but more of a city type looking to keep his shoes clean.

But it was suspicious that he was involved in some type of crime altogether.

"You invited us over to chat but never asked what crime I was referring to. We found it strange."

"Well, you ultimately scared me to death," He breathed a chuckle, adjusting his glasses up the bridge of his nose and stuffing his fists in his pockets. "I wasn't thinking, but I just wanted to get you over here so we could talk."