Simon the Nester

Simon's Point of View:

"Daddy!" Evie's scream woke me up, darting up and out of the bed when I eventually fell back to sleep.

"What is it, Evie?" I questioned, looking down to see her standing at the foot of the bed.

"Where is she?"

"Who?" I asked, deliberately asking when I knew the answer just to force Evie to address Kiera as her mother.

"Momma."

I couldn't help but smirk slyly, "Well, you said yourself that you wished she wasn't your mum, so she went to go be another little lass's mum."

Her jaw dropped slightly, "But—"

"No buts, love. You wished she wasn't your mum anymore, and I told you that you hurt her feelings, but she respected your wish and left."

"But what about you and Jacob?"

"Our feelings are hurt, but you're the one who wished she wasn't your mum anymore. Choices have consequences, love, and we're all paying the price for it."

I could keep this going all day.

"I-I didn't think she would leave us, daddy."

"Well, I didn't either, but your brother and I are still quite upset."

"Did you see her leave?"

"No. She waited until we were all asleep before she left."

"Why would she do that, daddy?"

"I don't know, but you have to realize that when you say hurtful things, you can't blame them for how they react."

"You don't make sense, daddy."

"Let me put it to you this way, then. You have no idea what someone else is going through, and something you say can have an effect on how they feel."

"But you always tell me to say what's on my mind?"

"That's true, but there's things you just shouldn't say."

"So I guess telling momma that I wish she wasn't my momma hurt her feelings?"

"Very much so. It tore her entire world apart."

"I'm sorry, daddy."

"I'm not the one you need to be apologizing to, Evie."

"But I can't apologize to momma because she's not here anymore."

"Do you realize the consequences of your choice, then?"

"Yes."

"Do you know why?"

"Because I didn't think it would hurt you, too," She frowned, tears welling up in her eyes. "I really don't want momma to disappear. I really do love her."

"Then why did you tell me that you didn't love her as much as you love me?"

"Because I-I thought she would take you away from me because she loves you as much as I do."

"Come here, Evie," I sighed, reaching down to lift her up where she sat next to me on the bed. "Your mum and I love each other in a different way. She's my best friend, my life partner. We've gone through a lot together. The way I love you and your brothers are completely different."

"How?"

"You're too young to understand, lass," I sighed. "It's just different, but I can promise you one thing: your mum and I love you and your brothers all the same, nothing can change that."