Declaration

The following morning, Dennis hesitated before approaching the office in the lodge, seeing Kiera working from home at her father's former desk, her hair in a loose bun while the twins were comfortable in the portable bassinets that were one of the best investments she had ever made.

She barely acknowledged him while she continued to work, Dennis gulping once he saw Simon sitting in the corner of the office, simply quiet as he chose to enjoy Kiera's presence as it was the last day of his vacation. "Sure got a lot of nerve coming in here." She scoffed.

"I'm sure I'm to blame with you being so angry," Simon commented, sliding his phone into the pocket of his jeans. "But it's not me you hurt: it's her, the children, your mum. All of that for your own gain."

"That's why I came in here this morning," Dennis sighed. "To say I was sorry and to make a pact to make it right—"

Kiera merely laughed at his response before closing the lid to her laptop. "You do understand that what you did impacts my children's future, mine and Simon's future, more than it does your own."

"I-I know, Kiera. I just want to—"

"Perhaps you should explain, Dennis. Explain why you did it in the first place."

"I didn't tell her everything, Kiera."

"You gave her leverage," Simon commented. "You gave a simple thread and now, she can weave it into whatever she wants."

"I suggest that if you really want to make this right, you get with her and find out exactly what it is she wants, understand?" She warned.

"Y-Yes."

"And if what she wants is to ruin this ranch by making up some story about me or Simon, then you better act like a fucking lawyer. My lawyer," She arched her brow. "You thought you hated me enough to try and ruin me? Well I can ruin you by making you do your own dirty work."

"I'll have something by Monday," He frowned. "I'm just... so sorry, I-I didn't know what I was doing and spoke out of anger—"

"It's not me you need to apologize to. It's to him," She tilted her head towards her husband. "That man did nothing to you and you immediately declared him as an enemy because you hated me. You shouldn't step foot back on this property until you have answers for me. Sue her and that fucking label of hers back to California for all I care."

"I will."

Kiera nodded, watching him bow his head in guilt before exiting the office.

"You think you can trust him?" Simon chimed, arching his brow from the chair he was sitting in.

"No," She sighed. "Never met a lawyer I could trust, but I do know a lawyer will win a case he knows he can win. Dennis can do research better than anyone. He's desperate to come back to this place – the last place he can call home. Judging by how he and his wife are having troubles, he'll do anything to get back in the bracket of my good graces. Might as well use it to my advantage."

Simon breathed a laugh, "I know you will, love, but just be careful. Lawyers can also bend the truth to their advantage. You just gotta play your cards right is all."

"You're looking at the master, babe." She giggled.

"More than just that, but I'll take it," He smirked. "What do you want to do today?"

"Well, I have some things to get done at the office later and was going to help you and Baler keep moving stuff over—"

"No need, love," He held up his hand. "The lad and I got the rest. You took care of all the small things and made it our home. We have the heavier stuff."