House to Ourselves

"Babe?" Kiera called from the bathroom, finally finished with refreshing herself for the day ahead after she had decided to get out of bed for the day. To some, sleeping in until nine o'clock was too early and to others, sleeping in until nine o'clock was the equivalent to literally sleeping all day.

Kiera was others.

Once she didn't hear a response, she then assumed that she had the house to herself aside from the twins as she clasped her towel tighter around her torso before exiting the bathroom, smiling at Jacob and Evie who were babbling amongst themselves as they were mesmerized with the numerous colors of foam blocks she had laid out for them prior to her shower, ensuring that they were occupied before she walked into the kitchen and glanced into the living room. "Baler?"

No response.

"Simon?"

"I'm in here, love," He replied, his voice coming from the children's bedroom.

She followed his voice, seeing that he had been packing miscellaneous items that they didn't use for the children every day to continue moving small things as much as he could into the lodge to make the entire process easier for he and Kiera. "Where's Baler?"

"He's doing his chores early today. He's got plans tonight."

"Plans?"

"He didn't tell you? He's going on his first date tonight."

"He told me about a girl he had a crush on, but he didn't say anything about asking her on a date—"

"Well, to be fair, he didn't tell me about this apparent date until this morning," Simon shrugged. "On his way out the door, he told me he was wanting to take the lass on a date tonight with his money he earned this week, so who was I to say no?"

"Did you think about how he was going to take this girl somewhere?"

"You must think I'm bloody dumb," He chuckled. "Of course. I figured that could be something you and I could do tonight since your mum asked to spend time with the twins."

"I would love to," She smiled. "Where is this so-called date happening?"

"He said he wanted to go to the theater, so I guess that's where we're taking them. I told him he better make sure he has enough money for that because it's bloody ridiculous to spend seven dollars on a drink and seven more for a small bag of popcorn," He scoffed. "I made it clear that he wasn't draining my wallet."

"Mhm..." Kiera trailed off, knowing that he did the exact opposite of what he had just said judging by how he broke eye contact with her when he started ranting about the ridiculous theater popcorn. "How much did you end up giving him?"

"I didn't give him anything," He sighed, his mouth desperate to hide the growing smirk on the corner of his mouth. "I gave him twenty just in case he spent all of his because I know I would've done the same if you and I met while we were younger."

"Wouldn't that have been something, huh? Probably would've had six kids running around by now and off to college instead of having trouble making our third since I guess my body doesn't want me to get pregnant again." She frowned.

"Who said you couldn't get pregnant again?" He arched a brow.

"I... guess my body, Simon. You know the test was negative—"

"Yeah, and what did I say about it?"

"You'll have to remind me."

"That I guess we'll just have to keep trying." He smirked, his gaze slowly flickering down from her face to her body that was still wrapped with a towel, wondering if she'd let him take it off of her.