Friends Close, Enemies Closer

»»-------¤-------««

»»-------¤-------««

Bud paced along the field of deceased cattle, his lips pursed and his hands shoved into his jacket pockets. Kiera stood alongside him as Frankie and Lawson walked along the corpses of the livestock. "Sir," Lawson said, approaching him with a clasp of what looked like wheat grass. "Found your culprit."

Bud took the grass from Lawson's hand, bringing it up to his nose before slinging it to the ground. "Goddamn clover," He mumbled. "This is a fuckin' crime scene. Kiera, call your brother and get livestock agents out here."

She nodded, removing her phone from the pocket of her bibs. Dennis was considered the black sheep of the family, but he was included, nonetheless. He lived off of the ranch with a family of his own as well as ran his own real estate business.

"Cole, you're not a reserve agent anymore, you're on regular duty. You cover this area. I don't even want a fuckin' bird landing on it. Got me?"

"Yes, sir." Cole nodded.

"You, come with me." Bud pointed to his daughter, both Johnny and Simon watching as they all shared a look of confusion. What the fuck is happening here?

"Looks like we have another fight on our hands, honey." Bud said lowly, adjusting his hat.

"Do you have any idea who would do this?"

"No," He shook his head. "That's why I need your help."

"I'll get right on it."

"Use my office in the lodge."

Once the sheriff arrived, tension seemed tense between Bud and Sheriff Richards, the men glaring at each other as if they had a past conflict. "So, you think this was intentional?"

Bud nodded.

"I don't see any tire tracks. The fence is way over there, so nobody threw it over and it didn't fall out of the fucking sky--"

"That's exactly what it did."

Richards scoffed, "So you think someone flew a plane over here and dropped clover on your cattle in the middle of the night?"

"That's the only thing I can think of," Kiera added, the tension between the three rising, Simon's fingers flexing against the reins in his hands as he stayed on his horse as well as the rest of the team. "Could've been a King Air, which is designed for skydiving and has a side door large enough and could hold the weight."

"Why would anyone do that? Who would do that?" Richards questioned.

"That's what we need to find out."

"Bud, I have no jurisdiction. Cattle is Chris's department. What can I do for you?" He sighed, referring to Chris Farley - the current Livestock Commissioner of Wyoming.