The River

"Pleasure to see you again, Mr. Jenkins." Dennis smiled as he met with Phillip Jenkins as scheduled.

"Likewise, Mr. Dutton," Phillip nodded, reaching over the conference table to shake Dennis' hand. "I'm eager to discuss the valley's future with you."

"As am I," Dennis nodded, sitting down in his chair and unbuttoning his blazer to give himself more room. "I hear you've bought property close to the Jackson Valley Ranch."

"Yes," Phillip nodded. "It's all raw land that we're having to build from scratch. Quite literally, at that. Jackson Valley is your family's ranch, no?"

"Yes, sir. It was named the Dutton Valley Ranch before the land deed was reestablished last year, including the new name," Dennis huffed. "All courtesy of my sister."

"I see."

"Mr. Jenkins, I have a few concerns with regarding your building project on raw land," One of Jenkins' executives chimed in. "What are your plans regarding water and power?"

"The blueprints I've forwarded to you state that the Palmer River runs right along his newly-purchased land—"

"The same river also runs through the property line of the neighboring ranch by over 70%, Phillip," The executive sighed. "In a civil case, the river belongs to the people who live on the land of the ranch."

"That's why I'm here, ma'am," Dennis chimed in with an eager smile. "The river is only a water source for our cattle and to provide a constant water source for not only our livestock, but other wildlife. I can assure you that using the river for the project will be no issue with generating water and electricity for no cost."

"No cost?" She scoffed. "There's a cost for everything. How do we not know that you're secretly seeking half the profit from the build?"

"There's only a profit if the build is successful. Besides, building an entire subdivision of condos will take over three years to build. If I were seeking compensation or commission, wouldn't I choose something that would be erected within a year?" Dennis arched his brow.

"Our plans are to have this completed within a year. Two at most." Phillip assured him.

"Well, the way I see it, it's the state's river, not my family's. I don't see any harm with using it."

"But don't you need a permit for it?" The executive arched her brow, twisting her pen between her fingers. "I mean, it sounds almost too good to be true, Mr. Dutton."

"I can assure you, it's not."

The executive huffed before looking at Phillip from across the table, "Well, the bank's concern is that you're going to break ground and the state of Wyoming or the EPA will paper us in lawsuits because you want to build a power plant without a permit."

Jenkins scoffed, "In the states of Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, and Colorado, a permit isn't required to build a mine or a mill. I'll build my own mill and it'll also allow us to harvest timber straight from the forest of the Teton Valley because let's face it: tourists are here to see the mountains, not the trees you can't see from the road or on a ski slope. Harvesting the timber on our own terms will cut the cost by more than 50%," Phillip explained, standing up to present the blueprints of his plan on the wall in front of the table, pointing at the bend of the river that separated his land from Jackson Valley Ranch. "If we dam the river here, it will give us enough power to generate electricity to light every home in the subdivision. It'll be a self-sustaining community that's an hour away from one of the most popular national parks south of the nation's first. Not only will we be able to generate the power for free, but our residents will have to pay a monthly cost for the power for us to be able to reuse it within the community – like a toll, if you will. Now, I don't know about you, but I see potential. If the bank doesn't, then, well, looks like I'll need another bank."