Whiskey Fever

»»-------¤-------««

»»-------¤-------««

The next morning, I woke up with a terrible - and usual - night terrors that were unfortunately too familiar with me. I can't remember the last time I actually had a decent sleep, even with melatonin, but I could say that I felt better. My heart raced when I realized that I woke up after the sun came up, my room beaming with natural light, which was another thing I wasn't used to. The smell of coffee caught my attention, bringing me back to the realization that I wasn't in the barracks. Not a base, not on a mission, but in a home.

I couldn't help but be hesitant with every move I made, slowly opening the bedroom door to investigate the enticing smell of freshly brewed coffee, the smell alone making my mouth salivate. Once I opened the door, I noticed a small black bag that sat on the floor. Out of habit, I was resentful to even touch it, but I ended up tapping it with my foot to ensure that it wasn't an explosive. Snap out of it, Simon.

Taking the bag and setting it on my freshly made bed, I opened it to see that it was full of basic necessities that I was coincidentally running low on: toothpaste, deodorant, aftershave, and Kiera's iPod. I didn't wonder why she left it for me because I knew that she knew I secretly liked the music she listened to. That, and looking at her photos. Then, I set up my new necessities in the bathroom I call to call mine for a while until I returned to the field, my mind relaxing when I saw a handwritten note inside: 

Now refreshed from a quick shower, I changed into new clothes before I exited the bedroom, following the smell of hot coffee, seeing a fresh pot of coffee that had enough left over for me, and I looked around the area to find a mug for myself, dri...

Now refreshed from a quick shower, I changed into new clothes before I exited the bedroom, following the smell of hot coffee, seeing a fresh pot of coffee that had enough left over for me, and I looked around the area to find a mug for myself, drinking it black - just like my soul.

I soon found my way to the back patio, eager to look at the mountain range that I had my eyes on ever since I landed in Wyoming. Opening the glass door once I saw a chair in my line of sight, I immediately stopped in my tracks when I realized that Kiera was sitting in another chair that sat at the patio table, a laptop in front of her and a blanket draping around her shoulders. "Morning, Simon," She smiled at me. "Care to join me for coffee?"

I cleared my throat, "I don't want to intrude. Looks like you're working."

"I'm always working, Simon, but you'll never intrude," She assured me. "I know this isn't our usual kitchen nook coffee time, but it'll do."