Cut My Roots Away

"I'm not going to lie, Eva

"I'm not going to lie, Eva. I'm nervous." Simon admitted to Kiera's mother after a desperate phone call - a call he felt he needed to make - knowing that aside from Kiera, her mother was able to help ease his nerves with reassurance.

"Don't be, dear," Eva giggled. "The worst she can say is no."

Simon scoffed, "Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. I've never been in a situation like this before."

"It's okay, honey. I'm sure she won't say no. You make her too happy for her to do that. Where did you decide to ask her?"

"There's a bridge that crosses one of the canals in town. We walked there on her birthday by complete accident. It turns out that it was a place I used to go to when I was younger. A place that I used to go to find closure turned into a place where I truly found it. Your daughter is my entire world."

He heard her gasp from the other end of the phone, a sly whimper escaping her lips before she replied, "And you're hers, Simon. I know it's going to be special for the both of you. I'm proud of you, honey."

He huffed in satisfaction, haven't hearing that before, he gained confidence knowing that her own mother approved of his decision. "Thank you."

"You're more than welcome. You better send me a picture of the ring once it's on that pretty finger of hers!" Eva giggled. "How's she doing? You mentioned she got a little sick on the plane."

"She's doing better. I think it was the long flight. She hasn't gotten sick since we've been here."

He wanted to tell her so bad that she was expecting new grandchildren, but he knew better. I'm not going to take that surprise from her by telling her myself. "She's much better now that she got some good sleep."

"Good. What time were you planning on asking the big question?"

"Tonight. We leave for London tomorrow and to get her dress altered. Since we're going tomorrow, I figured I'd plan a nice dinner tonight and to go to the bridge so she can see the city at night. I have a lot planned today."