Preventing Depression

Simon's Point of View:

"Daddy, another one!" Evie chimed at me, tucking her nose against the rim of her blanket as I finished the bloody Barbie Goes to the Beach book like she specifically requested.

"It's getting late, love," I sighed, closing the book, and laying it on her nightstand. "I have to work early in the morning."

"Why can't she work, and you stay home with us?"

I was over Evie's resentment towards her own mother, obliviously ruining Kiera's mental stability in just a few seconds. "She is your mum, lass. What's with you, hm?"

"I don't like her—"

"You have no reason not to, Evie." I frowned.

"Yes, I do."

"Tell me."

"Because she always tells me that she loves me and wants to spend time with me."

"And how is that a problem?"

"Because I don't want to."

"But that doesn't mean that you can tell her that you wish she wasn't your mum."

"Yes, it does. You've told me to always say what's on my mind, daddy."

"Is that really how you feel?"

"I guess."

"You really hurt your mum's feelings, love."

"I know."

There was no winning with this child, and I knew that I couldn't do anything to change it, and what was worse was that I knew I couldn't do anything to make Kiera feel better about the situation.

"You know you love your mum, right?"

"I guess."

I huffed in defeat, standing up from the edge of Evie's bed before ensuring that she was tucked in like she always was before I turned out the light. "Daddy, can you leave the light on?"

"You won't be able to sleep with the light on, love."

"But I'm afraid of the dark..."

"You're afraid of the dark? There's nothing to be afraid of."

"You promise?"

"I promise. There's nothing to be afraid of."

"Okay, but if a boogeyman gets me, I'm blaming you."

"He wouldn't have a chance, love. Goodnight, I'll wake you up in the morning, yeah?"

"I love you, daddy."

My heart melted, another reminder that my own child loved me, yet I couldn't help but feel guilty that I felt loved by my daughter and son without trying as it came naturally, and Kiera did everything above and beyond only to be told by her own daughter that she wished that she wasn't her mother. That was downright heartbreaking to me. "I love you too, Evie. Goodnight."

I looked over to check on Jacob before turning off the lamp, seeing that he was sleeping like a rock, his thumb tucked between his lips and his breathing steady.

Slowly, I made my way back to mine and Kiera's bedroom, opening the door to see her laying on her side, a pillow between her knees with red-stained cheeks. She had been crying.

I knew better than to ask if she was okay – I knew she wasn't okay. She was going through so many changes and emotions that I was amazed how she held herself together most of the time. I sat down on my side of the bed, putting my legs under the comforter before dimming my lamp, settling against the pillows before I sighed.