War Stories

»»-------¤-------««

"Having fun?" Bud asked as he snickered down at Fernando, pleased at the face of excitement the boy held as Alejandro granted him permission to snack on a popsicle after Bud had offered it. 

Fernando nodded, red stains of ice cream staining the rim of his mouth as Alejandro chuckled from the couch on the opposite side of the living room of the lodge. "Say, you wanna go into town and watch some horses work?" He asked, his gaze darting to Alejandro as the men shared a common interest of working cow horses and livestock in general.

"I wouldn't want to intrude, sir." Alejandro raised his brows.

Bud chuckled, removing his hat and setting it aside upside down on the coffee table, "Son, it's not intruding if you get an invitation." 

"Aye, then sure," Alejandro smirked. "If I didn't know any better, I'd assume you're horse shopping." 

Bud hid a smirk behind his mug of coffee, "I might just be." 

"I used to tell my wife all the time that I was "going out to watch horses work," but she knew I'd always come home with one." 

"Especially when you leave with a trailer, right?" 

The men shared a heavy laugh, their attention turning towards Kiera as she had entered the room with two mugs - one for her and Simon. He had been drinking mostly coffee since returning home for Christmas, but Kiera decided that the inner Brit in him was craving tea, so she was sure to surprise him with it that morning. 

"Thank you, love." He grinned up at her, taking the mug from her hand that she had offered him, failing to wait for the tea to cool before taking a sip, leaving Kiera to wonder how he didn't manage to burn his lips when he did it. "How'd you manage to make it so perfect?" He questioned, expecting her to make it the opposite of how he liked it given that it was her first time making him tea. 

She shrugged, "It wasn't hard considering you just put a tablespoon of sugar in it. Only thing I did differently was stir it in instead of how you do it by putting sugar at the bottom and then brewing it."