Far from Soon

Simon's Point of View:

Just as I suspected, Kiera's labor had begun. Very faint contractions began early the next day, roughly fifteen minutes apart with Kiera describing them as period pains. She assured me that she would be fine if I chose to go to work, but she got me wrong yet again – I wasn't going anywhere while she was in this condition, and I didn't care if she was able to manage her pain or not, there wasn't a chance in bloody hell that I'd go to work when I knew she was showing early signs of labor.

I was going to make sure I kept the twins occupied while she was in her early stages, to keep any level of stress down the best I could. I called my Chief and told him to have an ambulance on standby just in case she needed immediate medical attention.

"How's your pain level now, love?" I asked for the fourth time in the past hour.

She was laying on her back in our bed, heating pad on her lower back and the pregnancy pillow cradling her body, her eyes closed tightly while suffering through what looked like an intense contraction, but she assured me that it was only mild.

"Not bad. Just sudden," She groaned. "Lasts for a few seconds, then goes away."

"You think it could be early labor?"

"I hope not. I'm not ready."

I breathed a chuckle, "I'm afraid you won't have a choice of when you're ready or not, love."

"I know."

"I don't want to stress you out even more, but your belly looks to have dropped."

"Great, so I guess I'm doing this." She sighed, relaxing into my touch as I used the back of my hand to wipe away the faint sweat that rested on her brow.

"You'll be alright, love. You've got this."

"Easier said than done."

"I know. Are you hungry? Do I need to get you anything?"

"No, Mia said she'd be on her way when you or I calls her back to tell her that I'm in active labor, but I remember her telling me that walking helps with early contractions."

"Would you rather walk or rest?"

"I-I think I want to walk. Maybe it'll help."

"Alright," I nodded, standing up from the edge of the bed and offering her my hands, letting her use my stature to her advantage by relying on me for her balance. She wasn't going anywhere as long as I was there – my feet were planted to the floor as if they were cemented down. She sighed when she finally made it to her feet, looking down and using her left hand to rub her belly. "You've definitely dropped, love."

She breathed through another minor contraction, though her grip on my hand said otherwise. I held her arm as she merely struggled to take steps around our bedroom, her strides short and careful before she sat back down on the edge of our bed when we got close. "Just relax, love." I assured her, helping her ease onto her back and helping her get comfortable.

"It's really sinking in now," She panted. "I'm so scared, Simon."

"You've got this. You're stronger than you think," I assured her, leaning over to press a reassuring kiss to her lips. "Need me to get you anything?"

She shook her head, picking up her phone that was lying on the side table to look at the time. "It's only one o'clock in the morning," She groaned. "Can you lay with me?"

"Wouldn't pass it up for anything."

My chest was nestled against her back, my lower arm cradling gently under her belly while my other arm curled under her head. I listened to her focus on her breathing, humming as she exhaled through another minor contraction, and I was hoping that my supportive and warm kisses to her shoulder were equally keeping her focused on breathing through the pain.