A Silent Killer

The following day, Kiera sat in her office with a smug smile, knowing that eventually, Phil Jenkins would go down further financially after making a deal with Tokala, Kiera only buying out Phil's shares to be more of an inconvenience rather than a direct hit. Although the day was quiet, she decided to wrap up her day early and make her way home, knowing she had no meetings waiting on her nor any trouble to start. "I'll see you tomorrow, Suzanne. I'm heading out early today."

"Oh! Your friend sent you a fruit basket. I forgot to bring it to your office as soon as it got here! It's still on the desk at the front."

Kiera furrowed her brows, "Who?"

"Kristina?" The old woman guessed. "I'm sorry, Kristen."

"That's odd... She usually would've told me or came to see me."

"She didn't bring them, honey, she had them sent to you."

"Oh, okay. I'll get them on my way out. You should go ahead and go home, too. You've been working hard today."

"I may be almost seventy, but I'm getting my hours!" Suzanne giggled. "I'll stay until five like I always do on Monday. I'll be alright."

"Okay, well, if you decide you want to, you know you can."

"Thank you, sweetheart. Tell your mom I called for her."

"I will."

"Have a good evening!"

"You too, Suzie."

Kiera's heels clicked against the tile floor as she made her way to the front of the complex, a confused look on her face as she looked at the beautiful arrangement of fruit and flowers in a basket. Smiling, she retrieved the card and looked at the handwriting, immediately recognizing it as Kristen's:

"My boss gave us ladies at the front a whole fruit arrangement. One of the other girls wasn't here today and he gave me an extra to give to you since I made a comment about you having a use for the apples! I hope these cheer you up today. Love you! Xo, Kristen"

"Valor will definitely go to town on these apples..." Kiera mumbled to herself, her mouth nearly watering at the sight of the darkest red apple, knowing it would be delicious. Slinging the strap of her purse further onto her shoulder, she then tucked the basket close to her chest before making her way to her truck, securing the basket in the passenger seat before making her thirty-minute drive home.

Out of habit, she had pulled up to her house instead of the lodge, briefly forgetting that Simon had told her that he and Baler would be starting to move things over throughout the week since he had taken that week off from work, although she had entered seeing that the house looked relatively the same. "Simon? Baler? I'm home!"

"I'm in the kids' room, love!" Simon answered, leaving Kiera to know that he had his hands full and could not drop what he was doing to greet her.

With a grin, Kiera sat her purse and fruit basket on the counter before making her way to the nursery, her heart thudding once she saw Simon laying somewhat comfortably on the floor atop a thick blanket that they had used to let the babies play on to prevent them from injuring themselves against the hardwood. Evie was snug against Simon's side, her eyes squeezed shut and fast asleep while Jacob was still learning to avoid swaying while he sat up on his own, fumbling with the foam block from one of the many playsets Eva had bought them as Simon's free hand stayed against Jacob's back, keeping him upright. "I really wish I had my phone on me right now." Kiera smiled.

"Go and get it, love," He chuckled. "I'm not going anywhere."

"It's fine. I'm sure this won't be the last time I catch you having daddy-daughter nap time." She giggled, slowly easing herself onto her knees to lay herself next to her husband, kissing the top of Jacob's head while he was still occupied with the foam block.