Back to Normal

Simon's Point of View:

The second night of the rodeo went as planned, except lacking the surprise of seeing Baler for the first time in a while. Kiera smothered Evie with kisses, refusing to let them out of her sight once we announced that we were back home. I remember how my chest tightened when my daughter locked those eyes onto me, her little bottom lip pouting as her eyes scrunched together in tears, reaching for me when she recognized her 'dada.' I remember telling her that she had nothing to cry about anymore, and I was surprised that she recognized me at such a young age still, but it made me ecstatic because both of my children recognized me from afar as well as their mother, and all that did was let me know that we were doing excellent jobs as parents.

Jacob clung to Kiera's side like a little koala bear, and it was the cutest thing I had seen my children do. They both had grown so much in the time apart, and I hated it because I truly realized what Eva meant when she said kids grew so fast. Kiera held Evie close as she let her reach her little hand out to pet Cash on the muzzle, the horse holding his head low as he seemed to realize that Evie was just a child. "I think I've got a horse girl in the making, babe!" She looked back at me, smiling over her shoulder.

"I don't doubt it, love. She'll have a good horse to grow up on." I teased, sure that Kiera thought that I was meaning one of the other good horses on the ranch.

"I know. I think Jack will be a good fit for her to learn on when she gets older. He's good-minded already, and I know he's just going to be perfect for the kids to grow up on," She explained. "I just hope I can find me another horse after this baby is born."

"You don't have to worry about that, love."

"Why not?"

"You and Cash seem to be a good fit..." I teased, watching her look at me with a confused expression, wanting to assume that Cash was hers, but didn't want to get her hopes up in fear that it wasn't the case.

"I think so, too..."

"What would you think if he came home with us?"

"S-Simon..." He scoffed in disbelief. "Are you serious?"

I smirked when I held up the folded deed that was hidden in my pocket, revealing it to her to watch her slowly put together the pieces. "He's yours, sweetheart."

She bowed her head and pressed her cheek against Evie's forehead, holding the baby close while her other hand pinched her nose, Cash standing calmly next to her like the good lad he is. "Simon," She sniffled. "Why on Earth would you do this for me?"

"You deserve the world, Kiera, and all the happiness I could give you. You've been riding your new horse for two days and didn't even know it. Baler wasn't the only one getting a surprise this weekend."

She stepped towards me before wrapping her free arm around my neck, Evie looking at us as she tried to conclude why her mother was crying, her brown eyes an exact mirror to mine, except they held more light and life than mine. "I don't deserve this."

"Yes you do, love. Don't ever tell me that you don't."

"I don't know how I'm going to top this for you—"

I stopped her by kissing her cheek, the scruff from my beard scratching her cheek, "You being happy is all that matters to me, Kiera."