Enemies by Monday

"Dennis, how are you?" His assistant smiled as she entered Dennis Dutton's office. Dennis is Kiera's older brother, who is also a lawyer and a real estate broker who works with different agencies across the states of Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, and Colorado. Since he had graduated college, he had always referred to himself as the "black sheep" of the Dutton family. Of course, he always blamed himself for always finding an excuse to come around unless he was needed. 

"I'm doing well. You?" 

"I'm okay. Here's that file you asked for," She smiled. "Are you aware of the recent update that was done several months ago to your family trust?" 

Dennis furrowed his brows, "No?" 

"Oh, well I hate to be the bearer of bad news..." 

He huffed as he took the file from her hand, opening it up to see the official land deed for his family's ranch now forwarded to Simon and Kiera Riley. "Who the hell is that?" 

"Simon Riley? That's your sister's husband, sir." 

"Now that is shocking," He scoffed, looking through the files and pausing once his breath haltered. "M-My father passed away?" 

"I'm so sorry, Dennis. I-I thought you knew-"

"-I do now. What baffles me is that he didn't leave the ranch in my name like he promised and instead just hands it over to some guy Kiera married." 

His assistant cleared her throat, "Do I need to get you anything?" 

"Now that you mention it, can you get me the number for Phillip Jenkins? He's the capital developer for Teton Valley." 

"Yes, sir. Be right back." She nodded, leaving Dennis to tend to his thoughts. 

That fucking bitch, he grumbled to himself as he pinched the bridge of his nose. I'll be damned if you can keep the ranch to yourself.

"Sir, Phillip is on line three for you." His assistant chimed in, opening the door slightly to inform him of the news.

"Thanks," He mouthed at her before picking up the phone. "Thank you for your time."

"Thank you, Dennis," Phillip assured over the phone. "What can I do for you?" 

"Are you still planning to build a subdivision close to the Teton Valley?" 

"Yes, I have big plans for it," Dennis could hear Phillip smiling on the other end of the phone. "I've been meaning to call you over the past year regarding your family's ranch. With a property as big as Rhode Island, by chance are you looking to sell?" 

"Well, that was the idea, but I've got a few bumps in the road on my end regarding that." 

"It was implied that you were the new owner of the land since your father passed away?" 

"As much as I wish it were true, it's not. My sister and her husband own it now." 

"Is that right? Well, can you direct me into contact with her?" 

As much as I'm not too fond of my sister, that's a bad idea, Dennis sighed to himself. "Actually, I have a better idea. Are you available for a meeting this Friday?" 

"Of course. I'm in Colorado until Thursday and I will fly into Wyoming Friday morning. Does three o'clock sound fair?" 

"Sure. Do you know where my office is in Cody?" 

"Who doesn't know where your office is, Dennis?" Phillip chuckled. "I'll see you then." 

Dennis nodded before ending the call, resting his elbows on his desk after loosening the collar of his shirt. That ranch won't be just yours, Kiera