Breakfast in Bed

Simon's Point of View:

My shift yesterday beat my ass, but I was glad that it was finally Sunday – a well deserved day off for Kiera and I, and a day to relax with our family.

Kiera was still fast asleep, her jaw relaxed, and her face fallen. My love was in a deep sleep without a night of hot flashes or nightmares. Planting a soft kiss to her forehead, I slowly made my way out of the bed before the twins got themselves out of bed and let themselves into our bedroom.

I sighed when I had thought I slept in, realizing that it was only eight o'clock. Evie was an early bird, and I wouldn't put it past her to get herself out of bed and make her way to our bedroom.

Closing the curtain at the nearby window to prevent the sunlight from waking her up, I put on a t-shirt before making my way out of the bedroom, passing by Baler as he was making his way towards the opposite direction towards the staircase. "Mornin', dad."

"Where're you heading?"

"It's Saturday. I always do chores on Saturday morning?" He replied as if I should've known his routine by now.

"Right. Want to at least have breakfast before you go?"

"Kiera's not cooking, is she?" He questioned lowly.

"Not today, but what if she was? Your mum is a fine cook. What're you on about?"

"She burnt my toast once, and I haven't liked her cooking since."

"Awe, want me to get you a violin when I go into town?" I scoffed. "I'm making breakfast for your mum. How about you give me a hand, yeah? Watch your brother and sister—"

"I'd rather do chores on an empty stomach."

"You know what? I'm not giving you the option. Let's go get your brother and sister and get them ready."

I knew he wanted to say it was bullshit, but he was slowly starting to know better about back-talking me, especially when I was telling him what to do. "Fine."

"Good morning, sunshine." I smiled at Evie, her big brown eyes looking at me as she was still tucked under her blanket. Jacob was still asleep, and I hated that I had to wake him up to start the day, but I didn't want him to stay alone in their room while the rest of us were up and about. I couldn't handle the thought of him hurting himself while being downstairs.

"Good morning, daddy!" She smiled at me.

"You ready to get up? I need your help with something."

"What?"

"I need you to help me make breakfast for your mum."

"How come she doesn't?"

"Because she's not feeling good this morning. She's still asleep and is deserving of a good breakfast in bed, and I think it'll make her happy when she learns that you and Jacob helped make breakfast for her."

"Do I have to?"

"You don't have to, but I want you to. I love your mum and I think she's deserving of a warm breakfast in bed."

"But you don't make me breakfast in bed, don't you love me?"

"I do, Evie, but my love for your mum is different."

"How?"

"That's a conversation for another time. You can stay in your pajamas today, but get up and brush your teeth and I'll comb your hair, okay?"

"Okay, daddy." She nodded, slinging her blanket off and sliding off from her bed, the back of her head in knots from her tossing and turning throughout the night as she made her way out of the room and across the hall, standing on her stool to make herself taller to reach her toothbrush. She was already so independent and doing things on her own, and my heart ached as I realized that she was growing up way too fast. I remember like it was yesterday when I would come home and pick her little body up to hold her against my chest, her little body curling up when I lifted her from her crib. A newborn scrunch, as Kiera called it, and it was so beautiful. My little girl seemed like a young lady already, yet as much as I was excited to see her grow up and make the world a better place, a part of me wished I could keep her small forever.