14. Died of a Broken Heart

Viserys didnt have a lovely singing voice but avalon still liked Viserys to sing her to sleep anyways.

''I'm a little dragon, strong and stout. Here is my tail and here is my snout. If I get upset, you better watch out! I'll roar, and shout, and stomp about."

Avalon giggled into him. Viserys didn't have a good voice, Daemon did, but Avalon always wanted Viserys to sing her a song at night and tell her a story.

"Another one!" She declared.

"You don't look very tired." Viserys remarked.

"I can pretend." Avalon assured laying back down.

"It's late little love, big day tomorrow."

"Another one, please Vis!" Avalon begged and Viserys could never say no to her. "A story, please a story!" Avalon requested she had mastered the pout and dragon eyes.

''Five little dragons went out one day.' Viserys began and Avalon beamed up at him. 'Over the hills and far away Mother dragon said, It's time for your snack, Only four little dragons came roaring back.''

"Oh no!" Avalon declared with a smile as Viserys lay down next to her, her little hand disappeared under his hand.

''Four little dragons went out one day, Over the hills and far away, Mother dragon said, It's time for your snack, Only three little dragons came roaring back.' Viserys went on.

"We are losing dragons Viserys." Avalon remarked and Viserys chuckled nodding as she curled into him.

'Three little dragons went out one day Over the hills and far away Mother dragon said, It's time for your snack, Only two little dragons came roaring back."

"Balerion must have left, mouse always comes for his snacks." Avalon told him confidently.

"Must be." Viserys agreed. 'Two little dragons went out one day over the hills and far away Mother dragon said, It's time for your snack, Only one little dragon came roaring back.'

"Definitely mouse." Avalon assured. 'He is the most well behaved of our dragons."

"He is, because he has the best owner." Viserys agreed. 'One little dragon went out one day Over the hills and far away-'

"He better come back, Viserys, or else we are going to have to go back down to the dragon cave." Avalon warned and Viserys chuckled wrapped an arm around her shoulder.

''Mother dragon said, It's time for your snack, But no little dragons came roaring back."

"Viserys!" Avalon declared. "That's a bad story."

"I'm not done." Viserys assured. 'Mother dragon said, It's a really good snack! And all five little dragons came roaring back. Viserys told her and Avalon giggled into him. "Goodnight little love." Viserys coed.

+

Viserys wedding to Aemma was being planned when Baelon fell ill. Jaehaerys had requested them come to the capital but it hit him fast. Jaehaerys knew his son was fading saw it everyday since Alyssas passing. Alyssa and Baelon were the last of his children.

Once again their wedding had been postponed.

Jaehaerys felt the pain of his final childs death hard. He stared back at the body and never felt more useless in his title. King of the seven kingdoms yet he couldnt save any of his children from the path they took. Alyssa and Baelon lived the longest and yet their lives seemed so short. Jaehaerys could almost remember the day Viserys was born. The pride he saw in Alyssas face as Baelon held him up.

Then Daemon again a son. Alyssa had doted on Daemon immediately. He had a fire and spirit like Alyssa where Viserys was calm and gentle more like his father more like Jaehaerys.

Then from what Jaehaerys saw of little Avalon he saw that spirit of Alyssa within Avalon. Saw her beaty and kindness. Saw her determination in those big eyes.

Jaehaerys wanted to be there for his grandchildren but Baelon was the last straw. The damn of his mind broke open and he was filled with sorrow. The memory of all the previous children that had passed. His wife.

He didnt feel like a king. He felt like a grieving father incapable of saving his son from heart break.

How do you tell a five year old girl that their father died of a broken heart?

Baelon had been failing since Alyssas death. He couldnt cope and he had been fading away since her death. Then while hunting he complained of stomach pains then within five days he was gone

Viserys didnt want Avalon to never love never fall in love. Didnt want to scare her that their father lost the love of his life and it slowly killed him.

Daemon suggested a boar hunt. Avalon wasnt a hunter and didnt like hunting. She would be free to love and be in love without fear of dying of a broken heart.

They stared down at his body all wrapped up. Avalon shed no tears. She didnt know their father. Daemon didnt care for their father after he had abandoned them. Viserys knew the man he was before but that was a long time ago.

Avalon even asked if Mouse could burn the body. She stared up at Viserys with those big eyes and he chuckled kneeling before her.

"Meleys is going to." Viserys corrected their parents, their mothers dragon. "Is that alright love? Shes bigger is all." Avalon tipped her head back and forth in contemplation before nodding. Viserys picked Avalon and moved her back towards their grandfather.

Daemon had shouted DRACARYS and Avalon watched the flames cover their father.

"Is this a cake kind of day?" Avalon whispered in Viserys ear.

"Always." He agreed kissing her forehead.

Avalon was in a little black dress that sparkled and although the people were grieving for the hand of the king Avalon found she quite enjoyed funerals. No one questioned how much cake she ate because they thought her a grieving little girl that missed her father. She didnt know Baelon. Baelon looked at little Avalon and had seen Alyssa.

To die of a broken heart, Viserys thought as he wiped the frosting from Avalon's lips. He didnt know if he truly believed his father when he said previously that it hurt too much to look at Avalon until he saw his father so frail and weak at Avalon's fourth name day celebration.

"My princes, Princess." otto remarked coming up to them.

"Lord Otto, congratulations." Viserys remarked. "I hear you are the new hand of the king."

"Yes." Otto agreed. "I'm sorry about your father, bad way to go. I can't imagine losing my own wife..."

"Boars are nasty." Avalon agreed. "That's why I eat cake, less chance of getting hurt." Otto stared back at her.

"A boar attack." Viserys told Otto softly. "Better than he died slowly of a broken heart."