55. Pray with Me

Cruel Summer/ Maegor the Cruel out now!

''Hey, hey, hey,'' Criston coed dropping to his knees before Avalon. She sat with her back against viserys door as they operated trying to save the king. Her knees to her chest and head hidden into her knees, tears streaming down her face. Criston brushed her hair from her eyes as she looked up to him the most miserable look on her face.

"I didnt know, if I did... I could have stopped this. I could have helped... I... this is my fault." Avalon whimpered. 

"It's not your fault." Criston assured. 

"I would have... I could have..." She whimpered out. 

''No. your grace no. He has been sick, you know that. We just didnt know the severity of it." Criston remarked. ''This is not your fault.'' he assured. she swallowed the bile rising in her throat. 

''His arm i-'' she couldnt breathe. She was having a panic attack. Her brother. Her husband. Her friend.

''Let's go for a walk how about? While they work.'' Criston suggested as he saw Aegon coming down the hall.

''No. I have to stay here.'' Avalon whispered.

''Can I get you anything? Food? Drink? Carrot cake?'' Criston offered

''No.'' She answered simply and Criston rose.

"I will get mama a cookie." Aegon remarked and Criston nodded taking his hand and leading him to the kitchen. 

"Your grace?" Harwin questioned and she didnt bother to look up from her tears. "I have a little princess that is worried about her mama." Harwin remarked and she finally looked up. Alyssa waved down at her. 

"Hi baby... I'm..." Avalon rasped. 

"Sad." Alyssa drawled out. 

"Yeah... daddy's not feeling good." Avalon agreed. 

"Out?" Alyssa questioned hopefully. 

"Yeah... the butterflies might help." Avalon agreed. "Thank you Ser Harwin... could you let Ser Criston and Aegon know we are headed outside. They were getting a cookie from the kitchen." Avalons teeth chattered as she failed at holding back a sob as she shifted Alyssa into her arms. 

"Of course your grace but... I would feel better if someone was with you." Harwin remarked. 

"I'm... fi- fi...." 

"It's okay to not be fine." Harwin reminded her. "But they are going to take excellent care of the king." 

Avalon lay in the grass, Alyssa pulled at the grass and weeds singing a little song only her mind could comprehend the words of when Aegon came out. He curled into her side. 

Avalon tried to keep the tears from falling, tried to be strong for her children. Heavens knew she needed strength right now. She needed Viserys to be better then new and needed Daemon back to hold her. 

She had so many needs right now and none of them seemed capable of happening. So she clung to her children, her Aegon and her little Alyssa and prayed. 

The sun beamed down on her face as Alyssa tucked flowers into her hair. 

"Da come too?" Alyssa questioned adding another flower to Avalon's hair. 

"No... not yet. He's not feeling too good." Avalon reminded her. "But soon we will all be together again."

"Mama?" Aegon whispered hugging her. 

"I'm okay baby... I will be." Avalon whispered as Alyssa began singing her babbling song and sticking flowers in her hair again. Avalon's big eyes stared back at her as tears flooded her vision. Unable to contain her sadness and worry her eyes blinked and they streamed down her cheeks. 

But Avalon refused to break down, she didnt want to scare her children into thinking that they would never see Viserys again

But Avalon refused to break down, she didnt want to scare her children into thinking that they would never see Viserys again. Because she had to have faith that he would be alright. 

"Pray with me." Avalon requested holding onto Aegon's hand as Alyssa continued her song. "Pray with me with daddy."