104. Battlefields

"I dont want you to see me like this." Rhaenyra remarked. 

"I never get to be apart of this." Harwin countered. 

"Please, its not..." Rhaenyra moaned out as she pushed, blood pooled between her legs. "Its not pretty." 

"I want to stay." Harwin countered. 

"I got her." ALicent assured. 

"I have ALicent, please, I dont want you to see my like this." Rhaenyra begged. But he should have stayed. It was a quick and rough birth. 

''She's losing too much blood''

''Princess stop pushing.'

''What's going on?''

''Too much blood too much blood''

''My baby?'' Rhaenyra said weakly as she paled. ''My baby?'' She held tight to Alicent's hand but her grip softened as she kept losing blood.

''Get Ser-''

''My ba...'' rhaenyras words drifted off as her heart stopped and her breath expelled one last time.

'Rhaenyra?" Alicent begged. "Rhaenyra?"

Too much death, there was too much death in the capital. Too much death too fast. Avalon's heart couldnt handle it. 

"She's dead." Alicent whimpered. "Get Ser Harwin!" Alicent moved to the door Rhaenyra blood still on her hands. "Ser Criston she didnt..." Alicent looked to Harwin. "Harwin Rhaenyra didnt..." alicent whimpered and Criston held onto her. Harwin moved past Alicent and looked to Rhaenyra, as she lay lifeless before him. He dropped down his knees, no, no they hadnt survived all this just to lose each other now. 

He survived the fires, they finally got to be a family and she was gone. Just like that. Just how her mother passed. The birthing bed was a womans battlefield. 

Avalon and Daemon stared at the bodies before them. Rhaenyra. Viserys. A baby boy.

Jace, luke and joffrey looked to avalon as daemon summoned caraxes. Avalon wanted to be strong for them but she couldnt. She let the tears fall. 

~

Avalon remembered the day they stood out staring back at Aemma and her little boys body, it was too familiar and it hurt so much. 

They had stood silently as the wind whipped around them and the waves crashed against the shores. Rhaenyra stared at her mother and brother. Dead. Waiting to be burned. She stared at her father, tears in his eyes as a sob left his lips he did this. He killed them both with his choices.

'They're waiting for you.' Daemon remarked holding tight to Avalons hand. Avalon stepped forward grabbing Rhaenyra's hand.

''Dra...'' Rhaenyra began and Syrax gave a low growl from the top of the hill. Rhaenyra put an arm on her father easing him back as she spoke louder, her voice breaking as she spoke. She held tight to her aunt's hand as she said the word.

'Dracarys.' Syrax climbed down and in a blazing heat of dragon fire burned Baelon and Aemma. With heavy breaths they watched them burn.

'I'm so sorry.' Avalon had said hugging Rhaenyra tight.

'I miss her.' Rhaenyra sobbed. 'no one was looking out for her. only the baby and now they are both gone!' Rhaenyra told her.

'I am sure your father and the maesters did all they could.'

'she said that the child bed is our battlefield.' Rhaenyra recalled.

'Most women are not warriors.' Avalon agreed. 'they get to love and lose or win as a price of that... my mother died giving birth to me.' Avalon told her. 'Alyssa... you know your father named his boy father our father Baelon...' Rhaenyra sunk into her aunt's side as Avalon ran circles around her back.

~

''DRACARYS.'' Daemon demanded holding onto avalons hand. Aemond leaned back against Avalon and he felt her tears dropping onto his head. Avalons nose sniffled as she turned into Daemon. Harwin looked down at her. He finally didn't have to hide and Rhaenyra was gone. A baby boy that wouldn't be a bastard, gone.

Avalon thought back to the scroll. Viserys had named Avalon his one true Heir.