◆Chapter 20◇

The U.A. sports festival was in a few weeks. The bandages still present around her arms served as a reminder for her to not strain herself.

Don't look down. Don't look down.

Participating in such an event would not only be a good chance for her to get noticed by pro heroes, but she could finally taste the fruits of her labour during the competition. Getting mastery over her Quirk was crucial.

Miyuki pressed her body against the flat of the rock face and exhaled deeply. 

Don't look down.

When she looked up, she saw the distance between herself and Katsuki widening as he steadily pushed himself further up and up and up this stony pillar they were climbing.

Stopping was a bad idea. So, Miyuki mimicked his actions and pushed herself up the way she'd seen him do just now.

She should have known this rematch was decided when they started climbing this thing. Katsuki was already the winner anyway, right?

Rock climbing... this is what he loves to do?

She looked up again and huffed.

Of course they were doing something he liked. It was only fair after they'd done something she liked, right?

He won't stop...

Miyuki grunted as she progressed, gripping each rough handle and foothold along the way as if they were her lifelines — which they were.

Until he wins. But then...

Her leg muscles were screaming out to her, begging her to stop, and her heart was pounding as the rushing anxiety of falling, of failing, coursed through her body.

I won't stop... until I win.

Katsuki seemed to be going faster the higher he ascended. Miyuki pushed herself until she was moving as fast as him.

Where... does it end?

This was a break in her training pattern, but she'd use it to her advantage. Endurance was needed too, right? Heroes never give up. They can always break out of a tough spot and this — this odd rivalry with Katsuki, this aching shooting through her arm as she fumbled for the next rock —  there was definitely a way out of it.

There was always a way out.

Katsuki looked down. His long-sleeved sweatshirt rustled in the late afternoon winds as he surveyed his competition.

He noticed she was moving quite slow. Was it her injuries? They weren't fully healed or something?

Focus on the goal, he chided himself.

Katsuki continued climbing, throwing one last glance over his shoulder before he was swept back into the exhilarating rush pulsating in his veins as the top drew closer.

I'm going to win!

He smirked victoriously to himself when he pushed himself up and over the edge onto the flat surface of the top. Behind him, Miyuki watched as his foot disappeared over the edge.

"Almost there...!" She grunted, beads of sweat rolling down her forehead.

It was the final length. Her biceps and quads were quaking and her fear of falling transformed into a burst of anticipatory energy as her hand gripped the edge.

Katsuki turned around from viewing the treeline at the sound of heavy breathing. The smirk on his face grew wider as he watched Miyuki haul herself onto the top. She was five minutes behind him.