◆Chapter 119◇

Miyuki stumbled slightly once she got on her knees, head still hung low as she tried to clear up her sight.

Kasumi...

The half-and-half girl blinked, turning her head slightly to take in her surroundings. She tried to push herself to her feet, hand going to rest against the ground, but her eyes widened when she touched something soft instead. Looking down, Miyuki felt as if a pile of snow had been dumped over her when she saw Kasumi curled up in a fetal position, arms wrapped around Miyuki's body to press her up against what little was left of the Mech suit and the hectagonal shield she'd activated to surround them upon crashing onto the ground. Her eyes were closed and her cherry red lips were parted, a strange expression on her face.

"Kasumi...?" Miyuki whispered. Quickly, she reached up to touch her face – then immediately flinched back when she felt her cold, hard skin. "Kasumi... Kasumi!"

Her heart pounded as she shook her shoulders, a stinging feeling behind her eyes. Miyuki pried Kasumi's arms from around her then rolled the older woman onto her back. Still, she didn't move. Miyuki clenched her teeth as tears poured down her face.

"Hey... Please, wake up. Wake up," the half-and-half girl urged through her tears. She shook her shoulder again. Then, to her relief, Kasumi's eyes slowly began to open. Miyuki let her go as she turned her head slightly and she raised her arm to the half-and-half girl's face, causing the shield to crumble.

"...Go away," she whispered. Miyuki winced when Kadumi finally placed her hand on her cheek and it was at that moment fear consumed her heart when she finally caught sight of the blood gathering around her. The knife meant for her was plunged into Kasumi's side instead. "That thing... All for One... has to die. So go away already, you stupid brat. I've already decided that... if I'm gonna die protecting you... I shouldn't have to see that face of yours any longer. At least let me die... like a mother should."

Kasumi dropped her hand onto Miyuki's shoulder and pushed her away, leaving a bloody handprint on the torn-up sleeve of her hero costume. The half-and-half girl fell back, shocked twisting her entire expression as she watched her former foster mother return to the fetal position she'd been in when she woke up.

"Kasumi," Miyuki murmured sadly. Kasumi closed her eyes and exhaled deeply, the puddle of blood gathering beneath her expanding and expanding until it surrounded her like a womb.

"Go away, Miyuki..." she said, taking her final breath. "Go."

Miyuki inhaled shakily when she saw Kasumi's chest stop rising. Instinctively she reached forward, hand trembling as her fingers hovered over the older woman's face. She could still feel the warmth radiating from her skin, but the tranquility of her expression made it all too obvious to her the truth she didn't want to face ever again:

Kasumi was dead. Another member of her family, although only in name, was gone.

Miyuki felt the tears begin to well in her eyes as she looked down at Kasumi's unmoving body, fists clenching tightly at her sides until her knuckles were as white as wool.

"All... for One," Miyuki whispered, a new fury kindling in her heart. Hesitantly, she reached out and wrung her fingers with Kasumi's, the skin of her palm warming up intensely against the older woman's cold one. She looked over her shoulder, eyes flashing a venomous green when she fixed her gaze on the floating school.

No more death... no more tears... how much more...

Miyuki gently released Kasumi's hand and straightened herself up, pieces of hair softly swaying in her face as she turned herself towards UA. A huge explosion had come from there moments ago, she was sure of it. That had to have been from Katsuki, which meant he was still all right.